My Chromebook CB3-111 has a problem with the number keys

Marvin7904
Marvin7904 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My Chromebook can't type keys 1-4 and 7-0. 5 and 6 still work. 
I tried looking this up and people's solutions are for Windows, but, I can't find somebody with this problem on a Chromebook. I've tried Powerwashing and opening the laptop up to make sure the keyboard's connection to the motherboard is good. Neither has worked. Anybody know what's up and how to fix this?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Any chance there is something stuck in under the keys? It doesn't sound like the typical issues with the contact layers failing, that gives a different pattern, so more likely to be physical.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Marvin7904
    Sadly, nothing physical. I've removed the keycaps and they're pretty spotless under there. I still cleaned them, just in case, and I've still got nothing.
  • billsey
    Just to verify it's not a software glitch you could plug in an external keyboard to see if those keys work there...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Marvin7904
    That DID work. I plugged in my desktop's keyboard and the numbers work fine on there. So, you're thinking it's def hardware? Could my 1-4 and 7-0 have crapped out entirely?
    (btw, thank you for taking the time to respond. I very much appreciate it)
  • billsey
    Yup, it's obviously not software if an external keyboard works fine. How old is your machine, are you still in warranty?
  • Marvin7904
    Definitely not in warranty. It's six years old.
    I guess there's nothing I can do, then. I mean, at six years, it's time to move on to a new one, but, I was hoping I could get it working and maybe gift it to family or friend that could put it to use.
  • billsey
    edited November 2020
    If you know someone in real need, using it with an external keyboard is likely a better option than not having a computer at all. I got rid of a half dozen or so old laptops last year at the start of the pandemic by gifting them to families who needed a system to access school for the kids but without the means to purchase something. A couple came back at the end of the school year because the school district was providing Chromebooks to all students, but they have since gone back out to seniors needing Zoomable systems.