TC-895 motherboard only has 3 SATA ports, but BIOS shows 4 SATA ports? where is missing SATA port 0?

CornChowder
CornChowder Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
TC-895 motherboard only has 3 SATA ports, but BIOS shows 4 SATA ports?

where is the missing SATA port 0?    :)

thanks!

(below is screenshot of BIOS, showing SATA port 0 as "Not Installed" and  two WD SSDs and one DVD-ROM drive occupying SATA ports 1, 2 and 3... NVME SSD at bottom)

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    I believe that's populated when you have an M.2 SATA drive in, you have M.2 NVMe instead, so it's not used.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @CornChowder
    I had the same question in my mind with my TC-885. This BIOs page looks the same as mine. This TC-885 / TC-895 uses the Intel B360 chipset. As I looked at other motherboards (not by Acer) using B360 chipset, they generally have four SATA ports. I believe it is based on cost and space limitations of the motherboard  that Acer chose to use just three SATA ports, believing that should be enough for most users. The PSU for my TC-885 only provides three power connectors for these three SATA ports, which is probably cost limitation .
    SO, I answered my own question in mind. The SATA port 0 is just "Not Installed", at Acer's choice.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Correction! My TC-885 PC has four SATA power connectors.
  • CornChowder
    CornChowder Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    ttttt said:
    Correction! My TC-885 PC has four SATA power connectors.
    My TC-895 has just 1 empty SATA power connector out of the box.

or more precisely, 1 SATA power cable with 1 unused standard SATA power connector in the middle.  The end has a tiny SATA power connector that goes into the back of the DVD-ROM drive. That's it.       I added one SATA SSD which used up the only available SATA power connector.   When I wanted to add another SATA SSD, I had to buy a SATA power Y-Adapter.  It's just a few bucks, but still...  

from now on, if I want to add a 3rd SATA SSD, I have to buy a PCI card with SATA ports...   or use a SATA SSD USB enclosure/dock and plug it in externally. :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020

Your TC-895 has two SATA power connections, #6 in the diagram. Each connector serves two SATA devices, so there is plenty for two HDD/SSDs and the ODD. The Acer part number for the power cable is: 50.VQED3.001

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.