Acer Aspire 5 A515-55-56VK Maximum RAM?

rmiller1959
rmiller1959 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I recently purchased a Acer Aspire 5 A515-55-56VK laptop that came with 8 GB of RAM. I purchased a Kingston 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ SODIMM with the understanding that 4GB of RAM was permanently on board and removing the existing SODIMM and replacing it with the 16 GB SODIMM would bring me to the maximum of 20 GB of RAM. Instead, my system information and the BIOS show me with only 16 GB of RAM. Did I do something incorrectly, or is the maximum RAM actually 16 GB? Please advise.

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,
    Could you please post the model number of the Kingston module, it could be the speed of the module or it may have XMP profile.
  • rmiller1959

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Could you please post the model number of the Kingston module, it could be the speed of the module or it may have XMP profile.
    The model number is KCP426SD8/16. Memory speed is 2666 MHz, and I see no reference to an XMP profile.
  • Yes, the module is fine, could you please download and install CPU-z, run it and post the Memory tab and SPD tab for both slots please, you have 4GB onboard memory and a slot for removable RAM in your model, it's strange why the onboard memory is not recognised when you insert 16GB RAM.
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, if the removable module was 8GB( the original RAM), you don't have a onboard memory, that's strange because according to Service guide this model comes with 4GB or 8GB onboard memory, so I think you have to use the 16GB module as it is.
    Aspire 5 A515-55-56VK Memory Upgrade - Acer 5 A515-55-56VK Aspire Laptop Memory (memorystock.com)

• rmiller1959

Tinkerer

Thank you for your help! I guess I could fuss about being misled regarding the total amount of RAM my system can support, but everything is working well and 16 GB is more than sufficient for how I use it.
  • Thank you for your help! I guess I could fuss about being misled regarding the total amount of RAM my system can support, but everything is working well and 16 GB is more than sufficient for how I use it.
    Yes, you are correct, these things happen due to regional variations, as long as everything works you are fine  :)
  • RayFoster9711
    RayFoster9711 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I don't understand the link to memorystock.com to buy an upgraded memory module.  They are confusing and all of their information is different than here on the manufacturer site.  I have been there once and purchased the wrong memory module because they assured me there was 4 gb of ram onboard and there is not and that I needed to purchase a 32 gb memory module to replace the 8 gb in my laptop and that's not supported, as well they tell you to buy one that's speed is not supported by the motherboard on the aspire 5 a515-55-56vk.  You can go onto their chat right now and they will argue with you about their choice of memory module being correct but it is not.  It almost feels like they are doing that on purpose to get you to buy an expensive product just for inflow of cash I suppose because their recommendation does not work.