Is Hermes.exe a legit program that belongs to Acer Jumpstart?

moonziek
moonziek Member Posts: 1 New User
Can't find the answer for this anywhere.

Answers

• marilena
    marilena Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2023

I don't think it is. Did you find any info? It is on my computer now and causing me problems. I tried erasing it and it got worse. Same for PromoX, Forge of Empires, and ExpressVPN. They all just showed up and since then it's been trouble.

• xel
    xel Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hermes.exe is like the OEM and the rest of the software acer is installing nothing but adware trying to get customers that have already bought a computer from acer to spen more money on the trial games and other temporary stuff they can make money on.

Hermes.exe was discovered by windows security as a trojan and spy program and I was deleting it and it came back.

• xel

Tinkerer

A decent company should not install any software more than drivers for the hardware in the computer.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer

The issue with that thought is that the developers of the added trials and such help to fund a portion of the cost of the system, making it less expensive for you to purchase. If they left those out the base cost on the machine would be higher, making it less attractive to the customers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,651 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023

Just uninstalling these programs will often leave the services still running so you accomplished nothing. you have to dive in the Windows registry with Regedit.exe and delete the services keys on the left screen for those programs (with their updater agents): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ Don't use PC Cleaner or other bloatware to do this as that will make the registry mess worse: PC Cleaner is virtually impossible to completely uninstall. After you deleted the services check Task Scheduler Library if some updater is still running for that old program and in the Startup tab Task Manager.

• xel

Tinkerer

Yep. regedit it was. A bit more than 50 entries deleted and gone it is. Also deleted the rest of acer OEM bloat and no more have Planet9 or other strange things acer thinks we must have for "free" without wanting, when buying a computer.

The hardware in the thing is OK and the Nitro 50 640D stay cool even when working.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,651 Trailblazer

All vendors have bloatware to keep the price of devices competitive. Don't download freeware unless you absolutely need that, ask this community first. Many (AV-Intel, etc.) programs don't uninstall properly, and you need their uninstaller bloatware to "clean up" their mess but still program remnants will be "lurking" in your registry. A clean install is then the only option till you download something again. 😑

• xel

Tinkerer

You are right.

Everybody's right in something. Maybe.