Acer Care <venter Startup Applications keep enabling for startup Aspire XC-830

Batmaci
Batmaci Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
I really dont understand why startup applications appear to be set high priority every time i restart my PC although i disable them manually.  like below i have those adobe proccess i dont want them to be startup applications. I set them manuallly disabled as "set priority" but next restart they are again high priority. how to truely stop them. 
I have them disabled using task manager but i dont understand what is the difference between these 2.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• RodCorkum
    RodCorkum Member Posts: 2 New User
    I see no comments on this post after a year and a half! Does nobody else have this problem? I do ... on my Aspire XC-830 and it's very annoying. Seems that AcerCare and Task Manager do not communicate ... I have programs I rarely use disabled in Task Manager and they keep turning up with high priority in AcerCare startup. And as the original poster says, changing them in AcerCare doesn't help because it forgets the changes when the computer is turned off. I keep getting "reminders" to optimize the startup applications every few times I turn on the computer. And for some reason Microsoft OneDrive is "not measured" and locked at high priority and can't be changed - another program I rarely use.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    ACC can only do the changes for the current session, as you have seen, to make them permanent you need to change them in the apps. I don't believe there's an easy way to fully disable OneDrive, since Microsoft embeds it so deeply in the OS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @billsey and @RodCorkum

Can't we just uninstall One Drive and forget about it?

I make it a habit to unistall One Drive right after Win 10/Win 11 Activation every time I have a new OS installed (including 64-bit and 32-bit). It is not a good idea to have Microsoft controlling my data at all, even though it provides some convience. It also provided some inconvenience too, such as my desktop settings on one PC will be synchronize with another PC which I don't like to have the setting on that particular PC. In the future, I'll not even activate Win 10/Win11 with a Microsft account and just install the OS locally.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    I've heard that if you disable or unplug your router/server during installation, all of MS actions will be skipped. I'm not sure if this is true. I just say NO to everything. MS, FB, YOUTUBE, still MINE your data. That is how they pay their bills. $$$$
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Larryodie

That is what I referred to as "install the OS locally". Will plug back for W-Fi/Ethernet after Windows activation.
  • RodCorkum
    RodCorkum Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    ACC can only do the changes for the current session, as you have seen, to make them permanent you need to change them in the apps. 
    If it only works for the "current session", then what is the point of ACC having "startup settings"? Isn't Windows supposed to do all the startup processing based on the App settings and Task Manager startup settings at boot up? Once up and running startup has finished so changing ACC's startup settings makes no sense if it resets back to it's default on shutdown.

I just tried a few experiments with ACC. When I opened it, a number of programs show with high priority, others show correctly as disabled. I clicked the Optimize which moved settings of most to low priority and then I changed the ones I rarely use to disabled. There is no "save" button so one would think that when closing the ACC window it should save those settings BUT it doesn't. If you close the ACC popup window with the X in top corner, it completely forgets all the changes. Reopen it again from the icon in the task bar bottom right corner and it is all back to the original high priority settings. Seems to me to be a totally useless feature.

These rarely used programs are all set to "off" in Windows > Settings > Apps > Startup, and also disabled in Task Manager > Startup. So I really don't know if anything there is slowing down bootup or if this ACC message "Your system boots slowly. Use Tuneup: Startup Applications to optimize boot performance"  is all just "smoke and mirrors". (Seems like advice to lock the prison door after all the inmates have escaped. ☺)

I don't really have a problem with the OneDrive ... I just mentioned that since I noticed it couldn't be changed in ACC.
  • Larryodie
    Go to Apps and Features. Uninstall or never run in the background.
    My ACC goes it then hidden icon tray and never seen any problem with it ??
    Do you have an SSD hard drive as "Slow Boots" are rare ?
  • mandawg
    mandawg Member Posts: 23 Networker
    Having just bought and received this Acer Aspire XC-830-UW91 LapDesk something or other. I say it has a gender identification issue rofl. But yes these forced start up apps/items are indeed a real pain especially with windows 11. It took me some time to dig into the entire system itself and sort out what to force not start up load. Much of this can be done and found in the turn Windows features on or off menu attached to the System page. My biggest gripe of it all is that old needs to be destroyed and buried and read rights over ie that is still(although Windows 11 stated it would not be in this new Windows build but still is) I killed it using a force uninstall method and wiped it totally out of my Windows 11 Home system:: Hipp Hipp Hoooray ie is gone gone gone gone!!!
  • Larryodie
    I don't think that Windows have anything do do with Acer Imbedded Program.