Aspire m3410 running windows 10 - updated Bios available?

Malthetalkingdog
Malthetalkingdog Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I am running an Aspire m3410 with windows 10 (used the free upgrade).  All is fine but I decided to put in some additional ram from my old computer into this.  I already have 2 8GB ram sticks (Corsair Vengeance - 9-9-9-24) so I added another 2 which are the same, from my old PC, but for some reason the system still only sees 16GB instead of what should now be 32 GB.

Reading on various sites, I note that originally the max was 8 GB, but I am already running more than that, so I presume that I need some kind of Bios update?  According to msinfo the Bios running currently is:

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-B3, 26/01/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6

When I look on the Acer support page for the m3410, I note the following:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/3671?b=1

Date: 2011/08/08

Version: P01.B4

Vendor: Acer

However, the OS it mentions is Windows 7, but as mentioned, I am now running Windows 10.

Would downloading this bios update and inputting it still work?

Does Acer have a tool that can do this automatically for me?

Thanks

Elwyn

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer
    The Aspire M3410 specs say 1GB, 2GB or 4GB memory in each slot for a maximum of 16GB. I'm better your 8GB sticks are looking like two 4GB to the hardware...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020
    Hi, I am running an Aspire m3410 with windows 10 (used the free upgrade).  All is fine but I decided to put in some additional ram from my old computer into this.  I already have 2 8GB ram sticks (Corsair Vengeance - 9-9-9-24) so I added another 2 which are the same, from my old PC, but for some reason the system still only sees 16GB instead of what should now be 32 GB.

Reading on various sites, I note that originally the max was 8 GB, but I am already running more than that, so I presume that I need some kind of Bios update?  According to msinfo the Bios running currently is:

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-B3, 26/01/2011
    SMBIOS Version 2.6

When I look on the Acer support page for the m3410, I note the following:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/3671?b=1

Date: 2011/08/08

Version: P01.B4

Vendor: Acer

However, the OS it mentions is Windows 7, but as mentioned, I am now running Windows 10.

Would downloading this bios update and inputting it still work?

Does Acer have a tool that can do this automatically for me?

Thanks

Elwyn

The BIOS P01.B4 dated 2011/08/08 will work but the Aspire A3410 is quoted as taking 8GB MAX RAM at DDR3-UDIMM (4x 1GB, 4x 2GB or 2x 4 GB type capacities) at speed options of PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 240pin SDRAM DIMM, I don’t know how your Aspire A3410 runs 16GB are you sure? Have a look here: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-m3410 for all the upgrade oprions of your Aspire A3410 desktop. You can’t just put extra RAM and expect it to increase a computers RAM capacity, I'm surprised that your A3410 works? Anyway, the new BIOS will not do anything to increase your RAM capacity, no BIOS update does that and if its on the Acer site for the Aspire A3410 it will work but, why would you want to update your BIOS if everything works? A BIOS update should ONLY be specifically updated for a reason! Btw, to find out your A3410 MAX RAM you can do a "cmd prompt" check, have a look here: https://www.maketecheasier.com/how-to-find-out-maximum-ram-capacity-of-computer/

For your information I’m running an old Aspire V3-571G circa 2013 as a secondary laptop that has 8GB RAM and came OEM with Win-8 and an MBR/Legacy BIOS v1.13 and that is titled “BIOS” and this laptop also came with a GPT/UEFI BIOS v2.17 titled “BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)” that means that this BIOS version is only for a GPT/UEFI type BIOS as this laptop came with both MBR and GPT this laptop works perfectly with the latest Win-10 v20H2 OS built 19042.572 with both BIOS's. 

Note: be careful with any BIOS update as you have to be experienced with BIOS updates before you can attempt a BIOS update and as Acer warns you “Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution”!

• Malthetalkingdog
    Hi, Thanks for your comments.

So oddly, as mentioned, it is showing as running as 16GB installed with 15.7GB usable.  I guess I will just leave as is seeing as it does work.

Thanks all!
  • Malthetalkingdog
    Out of interest, for some reason I have never been able to update windows 10 beyond 1511, everytime I attempted, it would go through the process and then do a few reboots and then eventually just boot to a black screen and stay there with no changes (I left it in that state for 24 hours and no change).  However on force reboot, it then undoes the changes and I end up back on 1511.  Would the bios version have any impact here as well?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer
    Not likely, it's more likely a driver issue with one piece of hardware. The Windows update should generate log files that can tell you what's going on, or you can skip all the previous ones and just install 20H2.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.