Looking to install HDD into TravelMate P459-M

Travisalmighty
Travisalmighty Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have seen similar dilemmas on other threads here, but have not seen my particular scenario addressed for my machine and what I am trying to do. A few months back I purchased the Travelmate P459-M with 240 GB SSD, to replace my fried Aspire that had a 1TB HDD. What I want to do is install the HDD from the old Aspire into the empty bay in the TravelMate, which is the exact shape and size of the bay that it had come out of in the Aspire, so I'm assuming such an install must be possible. But the cable on the HDD does not appear to have a corresponding port in the TravelMate. After some research I've came to the conclusion that it will require a new cable with a different type of connector, but I've been unable to find such a cable for my specific model. The hard drive I want to install is a WD Blue model number WD10SPZX-21Z10T0 SATA HDD. Where could I find the appropriate cable, and where exactly would it connect to the computer? I haven't seen any obvious empty slots on the motherboard, so I'm assuming it must be underneath something that would need to be temporarily removed, but didn't want to start taking things apart without knowing exactly what I was looking for. For now, I will order a USB adapter as I need to retrieve some data as soon as possible, but considering the empty bay the same size as the hard drive and the lack of enough USB ports and storage space on the TravelMate's SSD, I would like to get it installed into the machine permanently.

Please advise.

Answers

• I have seen similar dilemmas on other threads here, but have not seen my particular scenario addressed for my machine and what I am trying to do. A few months back I purchased the Travelmate P459-M with 240 GB SSD, to replace my fried Aspire that had a 1TB HDD. What I want to do is install the HDD from the old Aspire into the empty bay in the TravelMate, which is the exact shape and size of the bay that it had come out of in the Aspire, so I'm assuming such an install must be possible. But the cable on the HDD does not appear to have a corresponding port in the TravelMate. After some research I've came to the conclusion that it will require a new cable with a different type of connector, but I've been unable to find such a cable for my specific model. The hard drive I want to install is a WD Blue model number WD10SPZX-21Z10T0 SATA HDD. Where could I find the appropriate cable, and where exactly would it connect to the computer? I haven't seen any obvious empty slots on the motherboard, so I'm assuming it must be underneath something that would need to be temporarily removed, but didn't want to start taking things apart without knowing exactly what I was looking for. For now, I will order a USB adapter as I need to retrieve some data as soon as possible, but considering the empty bay the same size as the hard drive and the lack of enough USB ports and storage space on the TravelMate's SSD, I would like to get it installed into the machine permanently.

Please advise.

Firstly what is the full model of your Travelmate P459-M-xxxx? Also show us the exact connector that you are talking about and internals of your Travelmate P459-M, as it’s a bit hard to know exactly what you are talking about and the exact model? The WD HDD that you are talking about is a 2.5 inch HDD and has an ordinary SATA plug, show us acaption of what you are talking about on your Travelmate P459-M?

• Travisalmighty
    StevenGen said:
    I have seen similar dilemmas on other threads here, but have not seen my particular scenario addressed for my machine and what I am trying to do. A few months back I purchased the Travelmate P459-M with 240 GB SSD, to replace my fried Aspire that had a 1TB HDD. What I want to do is install the HDD from the old Aspire into the empty bay in the TravelMate, which is the exact shape and size of the bay that it had come out of in the Aspire, so I'm assuming such an install must be possible. But the cable on the HDD does not appear to have a corresponding port in the TravelMate. After some research I've came to the conclusion that it will require a new cable with a different type of connector, but I've been unable to find such a cable for my specific model. The hard drive I want to install is a WD Blue model number WD10SPZX-21Z10T0 SATA HDD. Where could I find the appropriate cable, and where exactly would it connect to the computer? I haven't seen any obvious empty slots on the motherboard, so I'm assuming it must be underneath something that would need to be temporarily removed, but didn't want to start taking things apart without knowing exactly what I was looking for. For now, I will order a USB adapter as I need to retrieve some data as soon as possible, but considering the empty bay the same size as the hard drive and the lack of enough USB ports and storage space on the TravelMate's SSD, I would like to get it installed into the machine permanently.

Please advise.

Firstly what is the full model of your Travelmate P459-M-xxxx? Also show us the exact connector that you are talking about and internals of your Travelmate P459-M, as it’s a bit hard to know exactly what you are talking about and the exact model? The WD HDD that you are talking about is a 2.5 inch HDD and has an ordinary SATA plug, show us acaption of what you are talking about on your Travelmate P459-M?

So I think I may have made some progress in my search for the appropriate cable, but I would like someone more knowledgeable than I to concur. I believe my full model number is TMP459-M-52WX.

The HDD I want to install and the empty bay in the TravelMate:

The old cable to be replaced that connected to the original computer (the Aspire):

The bay with the cover removed:

I did find what I believe to be the port for the correct cable to attach underneath this:
    If I need to take this piece back off to show you the port I can, but if not absolutely necessary I'd like to avoid that as I am afraid I may lose a screw or break something if I take it apart several times. It's just a small black port that appears would receive the connector on the below referenced part.

I believe this is the cable I will need, part number 50.VE3N5.001. The TravelMate P459 is included in the list of models it will fit in one of the sites I found, but I would like to make sure before ordering it because I haven't been able to find the product to be shipped from here in the states and it does not appear to be available in the Acer store:
    https://www.zandparts.com/en/Acer-50.VE3N5.001 is where I found my model listed in the product description.

Thank you for your help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    It looks like Acer sourced two vendors for that cable. I don't have Acer's part number yet, but the descriptions are:
    • HDD FFC 10P 0.5mm GR5DB/FOXCONN/WDMSGR5-PA001-1H
    • HDD FFC 10P 0.5mm GR5DB/KIM WELL/F086015H
    They may give you more numbers to search for...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Travisalmighty
    Just wanted to let anyone interested know that the 50.VE3N5.001 cable arrived today and was indeed what I needed, I have the hdd installed and now have 5 times the internal storage on my computer as with the ssd alone.

Thanks!