Acer B286HK stuck 1080p

NashT
NashT Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
Hi. I have an iMac early 2012 with thunderbolt ports on the back. I'm running windows 10x64 on the device with bootcamp. I bought a Thunderbolt to HDMI converter cable and using it with a HDMI to connect the Acer 4k display but it only works with 1080 no 4k. Latest Windows and Nvidia updates installed. Why is it not working? Thanks

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,681 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I'd think the adapter is the most likely culprit. It's maybe only doing an older HDMI spec, before the 4K versions came out. Although it could be only that the Thunderbolt used in 2012 didn't support 4K either, there weren't a lot of 4K displays back then...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• NashT
    I tested the display with the same hdmi cable (except thunderbolt to hdmi adapter) with a wetek play 2, and the cable transfers 4k to the hdmi port properly. (idk why but only 30hz though) so the cable and the port is okay.
    I can't test the thunderbolt adapter since I have no other 4k displays. Can it be the adapter or the nVidia 640M? The adapter is a cheap $3.50 piece from ebay.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    I'd think the adapter is the most likely culprit. It's maybe only doing an older HDMI spec, before the 4K versions came out. Although it could be only that the Thunderbolt used in 2012 didn't support 4K either, there weren't a lot of 4K displays back then...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NashT
    Thanks. So there IS a chance that the port itself doesn't support 4k.
    I think I'll just buy a thunderbolt-hdmi cable explicitly claiming 4k support it's only 9 bucks.
    Will ask in a forum that discusses apples from that era.
  • NashT
    Thank you for the answer, I found specs of my hardware and unfortunately:
    2nd Display Support:Dual/Mirroring*2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600 (x2)
    Details:*This model can simultaneously support two external displays up to 2560x1600 via Thunderbolt.

Running a LCD on not native resolution makes it look blurry. Is there a way to fix that?
  • billsey
    edited November 2020
    Not really... Unless you are going to be gaming on that monitor look into the Thunderbolt dock instead of the adapter cable. Docks usually have more smarts so can do higher resolutions, albeit with slower updates.