Not a Bootable Device, Swift 3 - SF314-54-54VT.

ilcaa
ilcaa Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
i have a Swift 3, SF314-54-54VT.  it came with a HD with Windows 10, it works fine. i update the BIOS to the newst version on acer.com.  BUT I wanted to change the harddrive to my personal SSD with Windows 7 and all my programs etc from my older laptop...

i do the change out and use F2 to get into the BIOS. I can see that the BIOS has recognized my SSD as a ADATA drive. i change the SATA to "ACHI".  i save and reboot. BUT all i get is the "No Bootable Device".  I restarted multiple times with the same result.  I dont see any other options to tweak that would effect this ssd with Windows 7. the date and time are set correctly..

it shows 2 SATA port HDD 0 and HDD 1.  i can see my ssd on HHD 1, both ports are 'enabled' in the BIOS..  I even reinstalled the ssd in my older laptop again to see if it boots and it works fine (have been using it steady for 5 years but upgraded the processor/memory/etc to the acer)

can i SSD drive with Win7 be installed on a laptop thatshipped with Win10?  i cant figure out why it cant be seen. any suggesstions?

thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Windows 7 used a different boot method than any of the newer OSes. Your system is setup for booting from a GPT drive using UEFI. The old one is likely setup for MBR booting. Depending the age of your laptop you can go into the BIOS and select Legacy boot mode instead of UEFI, and then the W7 drive will boot, but likely without several of the drivers needed for the newer hardware. Which apps are on the W7 drive that you can't just install on W10?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ilcaa
    ilcaa Member Posts: 3 New User
    thanks for the reply. I have specific software and an entire setup that i dont want to replicate on Windows 10, plus this Win7 is a fast SSD...

Swift 3 is a laptop. In the BIOS i had no options for Legacy...  just RST Optane or UEFI.   So basically im screwed with this SSD and this Swift 3 laptop

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Most, if not all, of the newest systems no longer have support for Legacy boot. The later version of Windows 7 did support UEFI though, so installing a SP1 build might allow it to work. You are likely to have issues with some of the drivers though, since hardware drivers aren't being generated for W7 any longer either.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.