Acer Aspire 5560G is stuck in a boot loop at BIOS. I need help flashing the bios.

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>> I believe he had Linux installed before it stopped booting>>>

What happens when you try to boot from a gparted bootstick both with/without the battery pack or HDD installed? https://gparted.org/liveusb.php

Also how much/type RAM module is in there?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• georgebass
    georgebass Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I created a gparted bootable usb and tried booting with the battery and hdd removed, but still got the exact same result.

It did have 4gb, but I replaced this with 2 x 4gb sticks to rule out bad RAM.
  • georgebass
    Options
    https://youtu.be/mZq69VJ2BYY
    This video is not mine, but shows what the laptop is doing currently.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try disconnecting the power adapter, the lithium battery, and then press the power for 60 seconds. Also try to disconnect the hard drive and test the rams memories individually.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • georgebass
    Options
    Okay, I disconnected both batteries, reconnected the power button and held it for 60 seconds. I then put the lithium battery back in, and tried each stick of ram in each slot individually, all while the hdd was disconnected. Despite all of this, there was no change at all in the symptoms.
  • georgebass
    Options
    Anything else I can try?
  • JackE
    Options
    The video you posted earlier had a comment from users of the russian acerfans forums. He said "I already wrote how to solve this problem, I myself had it 2 times, but for some reason the comment was deleted. You need to write 1 file to a clean USB flash drive - BIOS.cap, BIOS versions 1.07 or 1.09, disconnect the laptop from the power supply, insert the USB flash drive, press the FN + ESC buttons, connect the power, and while holding these 2 buttons, turn on the laptop, there will be a blue screen with the firmware , then reboot and all the rules. Go to the acerfans website under 5560g on page 8 for a solution to this problem."

The bios.cap file is probably the re-named bin file in the unzipped 1.09 or 1.15 dos directory. The FN+ESC method he suggests is a bit different from most descriptions. You first unplug the charger. Then you press & hold FN+ESC. Then you plug the charger back in. Then you press the power button. All the while holding the FN+ESC keys till you see USB LED activity. I've seen this variation described in some BIOS flash methods.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• georgebass
    Options
    I have renamed the .bin file to .cap and copied this to a freshly formatted usb drive. I followed the instruction, and release the fn+esc keys when the usb starts flashing. After a few seconds the usb stops showing any activity and I am left with a blank screen.
  • JackE
    Options
    Blank or black? In other words, can you see the LED backlight or indications thereof? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You may need to rename the bios to XXXXXXX.FD
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options
    I thought we tried the FD already @egydiocoelho . Maybe not. Go to the DOS subdirectory of the unzipped BIOS download and change the J???? BIN file extension to the  FD file extension. Again, it should be the only file on FN+ESC USB stick. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• georgebass
    Options
    I tried renaming the bin file to .fd but got the same result after holding fn+esc while turning it on. The file from the dos folder is JE50115.bin. There is no backlight at all, the screen is completely blank. I know the screen does work from when it works while it is boot looping.
  • georgebass
    Options
    Could it be that the file name also needs changing, as well as the file extension?
  • JackE
    Options
    As @egydiocoelho suggested the specsheet indicates XXXXXXX.FD but I think  JE50115 is correct. The only other possibility that I've seen are JE50x64.FD If you see no USB activity then it likely means the BIOS boot section is corrupted and unable to read the USB stick. Then the only other  possible techniques are (1) an eeprom programmer which are cheap these days but aren't easy to use unless you're good at writing code directly to a  BIOS chip hardwired to it. (2) replacing the BIOS chip with a preprogrammed unit which are also cheap but requires desoldering/soldering without doing collateral mainboard damage (3) replacing the mainboard which probably wouldn't be too expensive for a 10 year old laptop. I just replaced the mainboard in this 10year old laptop I'm using right now in this reply for $25 from Aliexpress. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• georgebass
    Options
    I think I may have made some progress. From the bios files from Acer, I ran the windows .exe from my pc. It came up with an error telling me to connect a battery, but it did create a folder in my windows temp files.

This folder contains:
    BIOS1.wph
    environment.dll
    FvRecovery.fd
    OemSlp20.efi
    Slp20.pfae
    winflash.chm
    WinFlash.exe
    WINFLASH.ini
    WinFlash.sys
    WinFlash64.sys
    WinFlashUI.dll

I have tried coping this fd file onto a usb drive and starting the recovery process, but have not made any further progress. The usb flashes for a few seconds as it reads, but then stops reading.

I have also tried renaming the fd file to Je50115.fd, JE50x64.fd, and XXXXXXX.fd, all with the same result.

Is it definitely the .fd we use, or can we create a recovery disk using the .wph file?
  • JackE
    Options
    No harm in trying the bios1.wph as is or renaming it to whatever filename and extension makes sense. That correct name  is the big problem because the BIOS boot section is very primitive and  needs to see the correct name and also be the only file in the root directory of the USB stick. No other files other than the hidden FAT32 system files can be on this stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• georgebass
    Options
    Still no luck with anything I have tried. I think it just isn’t finding the file because the file name is wrong
  • JackE
    Options
    I checked back thru the archives and found this one from over six years ago. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/203737/#Comment_203737   I'm not sure it solved the issue since the user didn't respond. But I still think JE50115.fd is the correct filename. Maybe you could send a PM to cdestratis   to see if the flash was successful. Sometimes it has to be tried a couple of times till the BIOS wakes up and actually reads the stick. It's a pretty primitive chip.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• georgebass
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Just to update, I assumed the bios chip was so corrupted that it was unable to restore itself, so I ended up sending my motherboard off to have the bios chip removed and reflashed. I did this through biosmaster.co.uk, and they are very reasonably priced - only around £25 plus postage. After having this done, the laptop is now working perfectly again.