(AN515-51-55WL) Random Shutdown/Black Screen

Options
AustinB
AustinB Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Evening,

Wife's computer, model AN515-51-55WL, has begun to shut down randomly today. To my knowledge there has been no drops, no hard knocks, no percussive maintenance. The issue being is that whenever the laptop is unplugged, it has been losing power to the computer. In checking Windows system logs, it does not indicate a shutdown via anything the computer is doing; it indicates a shutdown due to power failure. The battery is just turning 3 years old, and isn't showing as uncharged. Another weird symptom is that when the laptop shuts down, the battery light begins to blink as if it's not charging, when plugged in. This failure only seems to occur when unplugged; having it with the charger plugged in seems to stop this issue.

As of this point, I've tried the battery reset yet the issue persists. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Broken8Ball
    Broken8Ball Member Posts: 40 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    That sounds like some sort of either screen of cpu malfunction. Can you tell if the computer is still working by plugging it into a monitor and waiting for it to do a "random shutdown"? If the monitor shuts off then it's a cpu/battery issue and you might want to take it in to a support shop. If the monitor remains on and working with your computer screen, it's a screen issue and you can look into screen replacement. This could also just be a battery problem in which case you might want to get it checked out, whether at a shop, or online. The plugged in stops it part is new to me. Never seen anything like that before.
    I'm 8Ball, I try to help as best I can. If the news isn't good, I'll deliver it. 
    Games that are worth checking out: Destiny 2, Minecraft, Modern Warfare, Warframe, Ghostrunner, Enter the Gungeon......
  • AustinB
    AustinB Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    That sounds like some sort of either screen of cpu malfunction. Can you tell if the computer is still working by plugging it into a monitor and waiting for it to do a "random shutdown"? If the monitor shuts off then it's a cpu/battery issue and you might want to take it in to a support shop. If the monitor remains on and working with your computer screen, it's a screen issue and you can look into screen replacement. This could also just be a battery problem in which case you might want to get it checked out, whether at a shop, or online. The plugged in stops it part is new to me. Never seen anything like that before.
    The computer does shut off, it's not just the monitor. In the windows logs, it notes the computer suffered a critical, unexpected shutdown, due to internal failure or power loss. Since this happens when the machine is unplugged, I would only imagine this is due to a power issue.