Acer Chromebook R13 Flip Model - Touchscreen issues / sharing my resolution

kenai76
kenai76 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I have owned a couple of the Acer R13 Chromebooks but my daughters touchscreen suddenly stopped responding after a recent update. After trying all the usual steps to get tthe touchscreen to work again (full powerwash, a full clean recovery using a USB & also disabled/reenabled touchscreen via chrome flags debugging keyboard shortcuts) it would still work one minute & then the next just stop working randomly. I went a step further as the unit was out of warranty & checked to see if the screen connection cable was loose inside & it was absolutely fine. Tbh I was stumped as to what was causing this intermittent touchscreen malfunction & was about to go and buy her a new chromebook as she used the touchscreen option much more than standard keyboard/ mouse.
However was purely by chance I went through her google playstore installed apps to uninstall each one to see if perhaps an app was causing the issue. I noticed she had YouTube (the playstore app version not the chrome default version) - she said she preferred it to the version that opens in chrome browser. I uninstalled it anyway, restarted and the chromebooks touchscreen now works flawlessly and has done for the past week. I couldnt believe the app would cause this so i evcen reinstalled the YT app again & yet again the chromebook touchscreen stopped responding.
Im not sure if this is related just to my daughters Acer R13  (as with my HP X360 Chromebook the YT app doesnt cause the same issue)
Anyway I thought I would post this for the small minority out there with Acer R13 Chromebooks (and perhaps other chromebooks?) who may have the playstore YouTube app installed like on my daughters & hopefully it may resolve similiar intermittent touch screen malfuction issues too. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    That is good to know, we get questions about touch screen issues fairly often.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kenai76
    kenai76 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Yeah I've kinda noticed, I read through quite a few of them lol .. obviously this isn't going to resolve every touchscreen issue on a R13 but it's another option people may overlook. Tbh it could be relevant to my R13 as it's odd a mere app could course this but it certainly does on my daughter's R13 for some strange reason