Did anyone upgrade the RAM/SSD in Acer swift 3 SF315-52G? and how is the performance?

Options
Jay_forever
Jay_forever Member Posts: 4 New User
I want to upgrade my laptop RAM and SSD for video editing and content creating, as my laptop lags while editing on premiere pro. so Is it good to upgrade my laptop and will it work fine? anyone who did have upgraded it earlier?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Which drive did it come with? Yours supports both an NVMe SSD in the M.2 slot and a SATA3 HDD/SSD in the 2.5" bay. If yours came with the SSD it might need a HDD cable to install the 2.5". Your system has two memory slots and supports up to 32GB. Which processors does yours have, what speed of memory is installed now? It looks like they shipped the early SF315-52G models with a 7th gen processor and 2400 memory, then later with an 8th gen processor and 2666 memory... The CPU and GPU are soldered in, so not replaceable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jay_forever
    Options
    My laptop is of i5 Intel with 8gen
    It has come with 128gb SSD and 1TB HDD with 8GB RAM
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I want to upgrade my laptop RAM and SSD for video editing and content creating, as my laptop lags while editing on premiere pro. so Is it good to upgrade my laptop and will it work fine? anyone who did have upgraded it earlier?

Your Swift 3 SF315-52G memory RAM is a max of 32GB and has 2x slots (2 banks of 1) and comes OEM with standard RAM  of 8GB removable.

Also your storage drive of your Swift 3 SF315-52G is of form factor M.2 and has a drive interface of 1x PCIe M.2 connector that is a PCIe 2280 and can accommodate NVMe type M.2 SSD also. It has also provision for a 1x 2.5 inch SATA 3 - 6Gb/s SSD

If you want to find out Max RAM through cmd prompt you can do this by going to: cmd prompt and use it as administrator and use this command: wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices

Then divide what you get in “MaxCapacity” by 1048576 then divide what you get in “MemoryDevices” which will give you the max RAM per slot, simple!

Btw, if you want a more extensive guide on RAM? Have a look at this site here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get-full-memory-specs-speed-size-type-part-number-form-factor-windows-10 as it explains “How to get full PC memory specs (speed, size, type, part number, form factor) on Windows 10” and all that you want to know about RAM, simple.

• Jay_forever
    Options
    Is it worth to upgrade? Will the performance of my laptop improve, if I upgrade with 16 gb RAM and SSD? Because I'll be using my laptop for editing in premiere Pro.
  • YASIS
    YASIS Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2021
    Options
    My laptop is Acer swift 315-52G so i need to upgrade RAM and STORAGE defalt it comes with 8gb  and 256 SSD so when type this  wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices   on cmd its show
    • MaxCapacity  MemoryDevices
    • 8388608             4
    Its means what?  can anyone explain this to me properly
    Hope you guys will support me for this.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    It looks like you have two SODIMM sockets and each socket supports up to 16GB DDR4 2666 modules, so you should be able to max it out at 32GB of memory. Ignore that utility, it only looks at the chipset and not the actual hardware.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.