Acer Aspire E5-473G Black Screen of Death

Xdarwinian
Xdarwinian Member Posts: 8 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

Does anyone here have encountered black/blank screen of death, as if the mainboard is already bricked? The unit can still full charged the battery as it turns its LED indicator from amber to blue. The HDD/activity LED can momentarily lights up also after turning it on, since I had the HDD removed. I had already done the power cycle, used external monitor, cleaned the RAM sticks, changed the thermal compound on CPU, disassembling the laptop, with ALL parts removed and reassembled it, but to no avail.

I have read and viewed some people did the 'Fn+Esc+Power' buttons to flash the BIOS to boot from USB in DOS mode trick on different and older Aspire models that did wonders for them. I also tried this years ago on my Aspire One ZG5 and was able to restore it. Now I am wondering if I can apply the same technique on Aspire E5-473G. 

I found that the downloadable firmware from Acer Support is only for Windows platform, and can't find any. *.fd BIOS file.

I would appreciate a lot if somebody can help me fix my daughter's laptop.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    If you removed the battery and the machine wasn't turned back on for more than 30 seconds, then you already performed the battery reset. So if there is also no HDMI TV screen by toggling FN+F5, then it suggests that the graphics is fried or the BIOS firmware was somehow corrupted. If the latter, you can try to extract the binary firmware file by running the unzipped Windows BIOS executable on a different Windows machine. While the executable will fail, don't close the failure message. Leave the failure message running, and search C : \ users folder for h2o*.exe. In the temporary sub-folder in which h2o*.exe appears, the binary should be present as a .bin, .wpd, .rom or .fd extension file. The binary must be named A4WABx64.fd and be the only file on a FAT32 formatted USB stick with an activity LED. Plug the stick in a USB port. Plug the charger in. Press and hold the FN+ESC keys. Then while still holding the keys, press the power button to turn the machine on. Don't let go of the keys until USB LED activity happens. If successful, the machine will automatically shut down by itself in less than 5 mins. If it fails, try another USB port.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Did this happen unexpectedly for no apparent reason? If yes, did you try to turn the screen & external  monitor on with the FN+F6 and FN+F5 toggle key combinations? Did you also shut the machine off, remove the charger and gently insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole for about 30 seconds? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xdarwinian
    JackE said:
    Did this happen unexpectedly for no apparent reason? If yes, did you try to turn the screen & external  monitor on with the FN+F6 and FN+F5 toggle key combinations? Did you also shut the machine off, remove the charger and gently insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole for about 30 seconds? Jack E/NJ
    I haven't done the battery reset thing, but already tried removing the internal battery and only used the AC/DC adaptor to power it up but the problem persisted.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    If you removed the battery and the machine wasn't turned back on for more than 30 seconds, then you already performed the battery reset. So if there is also no HDMI TV screen by toggling FN+F5, then it suggests that the graphics is fried or the BIOS firmware was somehow corrupted. If the latter, you can try to extract the binary firmware file by running the unzipped Windows BIOS executable on a different Windows machine. While the executable will fail, don't close the failure message. Leave the failure message running, and search C : \ users folder for h2o*.exe. In the temporary sub-folder in which h2o*.exe appears, the binary should be present as a .bin, .wpd, .rom or .fd extension file. The binary must be named A4WABx64.fd and be the only file on a FAT32 formatted USB stick with an activity LED. Plug the stick in a USB port. Plug the charger in. Press and hold the FN+ESC keys. Then while still holding the keys, press the power button to turn the machine on. Don't let go of the keys until USB LED activity happens. If successful, the machine will automatically shut down by itself in less than 5 mins. If it fails, try another USB port.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xdarwinian
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

I'll try your last suggestion which I guess will address the laptop problem, since I already left the unit without the battery for about an hour and an external hdmi display didn't work either. Will let you know the result once I'm done. Thanks.
  • JackE
    Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xdarwinian
    I can't find any file with .bin, .wpd, .rom or .fd extension. See below.

• JackE
    Try extracting the compressed zip file to bin file format using izarc freeware. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xdarwinian
    JackE said:
    Try extracting the compressed zip file to bin file format using izarc freeware. Jack E/NJ
    Okay, will try that.
  • Xdarwinian
    Hi Jack,

After extracting the zipped file using iZArc, this what I got:

Since I can't extract the EXE file with iZArc, I used Winrar instead and these are the extracted files...

• JackE
    izarc should have an option of converting a DLL to a BIN. The platform.ini text file shows that isflash.bin is created when the Windows flash executable is run.   So it must be one of the DLLs in the temporary directory. I'd try the xerces-c_2_7.dll first since it's about the right size.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xdarwinian
    JackE said:
    izarc should have an option of converting a DLL to a BIN. The platform.ini text file shows that isflash.bin is created when the Windows flash executable is run.   So it must be one of the DLLs in the temporary directory. I'd try the xerces-c_2_7.dll first since it's about the right size.  Jack E/NJ
    Hi Jack,

Still no success.  :anguished: There's no .bin option even though I checked the tick box of BIN during installation for file supported/association.

• JackE
    ScyberMhaster>>>>I downloaded the latest available official BIOS from the Acer Website, and managed to extract 'isflash.bin' file.>>>

I suggest that you join the above forum then send a query PM to this user. I know that some fee-based archive decompressors can yield more than the usual freeware versions. Sorry I'm really not sure how he was able to extract it from the unzipped ACER file at least from the decompressors I'm familiar with.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xdarwinian
    JackE said:
    ScyberMhaster>>>>I downloaded the latest available official BIOS from the Acer Website, and managed to extract 'isflash.bin' file.>>>

I suggest that you join the above forum then send a query PM to this user. I know that some fee-based archive decompressors can yield more than the usual freeware versions. Sorry I'm really not sure how he was able to extract it from the unzipped ACER file at least from the decompressors I'm familiar with.  Jack E/NJ

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I also registered in that forum early this morning and downloaded the shared isflash.bin as well as the dump file uploaded there. I will try these files to recover the BIOS later. Thanks again.