How to do factory reset on Acer Swift 3 that came *without* Windows? - SF314-42-RC5Y

thirstyfirsty
thirstyfirsty Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a SF314-42-RC5Y that came without Windows, only an EFI Shell. I installed Windows using a spare key I had.

Sadly, I have decided to return the computer.

The question now is how to reset the computer to its factory settings. I chose the restore functionality from Windows' system settings, but apparently that just means Windows wants to reinstall itself. So I used a live Ubuntu from USB to delete Windows partition and to also remove the EFI boot entry for Windows.

However, when I now boot, somehow I get this Windows startup screen that says "Recovery" and "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired". There is no option to remove Windows completely.

How can I get rid of the remaining traces of Windows?

Thank you!

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited October 2020
    well, if you're live booting to ubuntu, using gparted (or similar), create a new partition table for the drive and that should take out any reference to any partitions on the laptops physical drive.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Yeah, you want to wipe Windows off the machine, not install a clean version. Use anything to boot with and delete all the partitions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.