video crash followed by freeze/reboot on Nitro VN7-593G ( with external monitor) - kernel event 141

immelmann
immelmann Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello !
I'm using an acer laptop  specs below) coupled with a samsung monitor since 2 years. 2-3 months ago the system started crashing while browsing the internet / watching youtube : the screen would freeze, turn pink / green with a distorted image, and then turn completely black.

80% of the times it would just remain black and the pc will become hot and loud, remaining in this state several hours (if i dont shut it down immediatly).
15% it would just reboot directly itself
5% the "glitch" resolves after 5 seconds, but then no video / sound playback is possible (whatever the medium or the source).

It is usually gone after a reboot. Strangely, this problem does not seem to happen while playing games (overwatch / borderlands), even though they seem to stress the GPU a lot even at low specs. Feels like the problem is tied to GPU - monitor relationship, although i rarely use the pc without it and it worked fine for almost 2 years before encountering this issue.
I tried uninstalling drivers with DDU and installing acer's dedicated ones, but the problem remained.

Sometimes, windows reliability will show an error kernel event 141, even tough no device appears as faulty or unidentified in the device manager. Any idea or input with this issue would be greatly appreciated, since I'm not too sure where can I even start. Thank you for your help and have a nice day !

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    What is the GPU T° when it gets distorted?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• immelmann
    immelmann Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hey !

it happens at different temps : sometimes will occure right after startup at around 50-60, other times it will begin to heat and then go bonkers around 90.
    Wierd thing is when i do play games (even low spec overwhatch runs hard) the cpu and gpu both go to around 90C but the performance is stable for hours.

The crash mostly happens with browsing and youtube, no matter the browser !