[Aspire XC-105] Crossflash BIOS P11.B3 over P11.A3L possible?

Gerwulf
Gerwulf Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2020 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hi folks,
has anyone ever tried to crossflash a Windows-optimized (aka "standard") BIOS variant (like the P11.B3) on a system running a Linux-optimized variant (like the P11.A3L)?

Background: my dad uses an Aspire XC-105 that's running Windows 10 under P11.A3L (because it was bought without a preinstalled OS).
If I try to update the BIOS to P11.B3 (an "L" variant is not available), the flash tool (afuwinx64.exe) reports: "ROM file ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID".
When comparing the ROMIDs and ROM GUIDs (using the "/S" and "/U" switches of afuwinx64.exe), they only differ slightly regarding the ROMID, while the ROM GUID is exactly the same.
There is a command line switch "/X" to afuwinx64.exe, which reads "Do not check ROMID". I suppose I could flash the P11.B3 over the P11.A3L, using this switch.
Question is: will it work?
Did anyone try this or has insight into the inner workings or differences between these BIOS variants (Standard vs. Linux)?
I would try it myself, but the system is quite important to my dad's business, and I don't see an easy way back in case this would brick the system. My gut feeling tells me the "L" variants are nothing more than some changed default settings (e.g. "secure boot" disabled, no preinstalled Windows license integrated and so on), and crossflashing should be possible. Does anyone know better?

Regards,

[Edit: the reason I need to update the BIOS is that the system got upgraded from HDD to SSD, which did work at first, but isn't reliably booting any longer now. The description of the P11.B3 (and several hits on the net concerning very similar problems (and BIOS fixes) with Windows 10 and SSDs) have led me to believe that it could fix my problems.]

Edited the content to hide personal information

Answers

• maths88
    maths88 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi Gerwulf, did you tried it after all? I am doubting to do the same to my system.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    Gerwulf said:
    Hi folks,
    has anyone ever tried to crossflash a Windows-optimized (aka "standard") BIOS variant (like the P11.B3) on a system running a Linux-optimized variant (like the P11.A3L)?

Background: my dad uses an Aspire XC-105 that's running Windows 10 under P11.A3L (because it was bought without a preinstalled OS).
    If I try to update the BIOS to P11.B3 (an "L" variant is not available), the flash tool (afuwinx64.exe) reports: "ROM file ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID".
    When comparing the ROMIDs and ROM GUIDs (using the "/S" and "/U" switches of afuwinx64.exe), they only differ slightly regarding the ROMID, while the ROM GUID is exactly the same.
    There is a command line switch "/X" to afuwinx64.exe, which reads "Do not check ROMID". I suppose I could flash the P11.B3 over the P11.A3L, using this switch.
    Question is: will it work?
    Did anyone try this or has insight into the inner workings or differences between these BIOS variants (Standard vs. Linux)?
    I would try it myself, but the system is quite important to my dad's business, and I don't see an easy way back in case this would brick the system. My gut feeling tells me the "L" variants are nothing more than some changed default settings (e.g. "secure boot" disabled, no preinstalled Windows license integrated and so on), and crossflashing should be possible. Does anyone know better?

Regards,

[Edit: the reason I need to update the BIOS is that the system got upgraded from HDD to SSD, which did work at first, but isn't reliably booting any longer now. The description of the P11.B3 (and several hits on the net concerning very similar problems (and BIOS fixes) with Windows 10 and SSDs) have led me to believe that it could fix my problems.]

Edited the content to hide personal information

"Gerwulf" the BIOS flash update of your XC-105 should work 100%, as that is what Acer recommends and instructs consumers to do! To flash the new P11.B3 BIOS over the old version P11.A3L in the XC-105, make sure that you follow the "Win Flash Utility SOP v1.2" guide and also make sure that and before you flash to the new P11.B3 BIOS you first take the RTC battery out and put it back after a 15min period to reset BIOS before flashing, then go into the BIOS (press DELETE to get into the BIOS) and choose “Authentication” page and select “Secure Boot” and change it to "Disabled" from "Enabled" before you flash the new P11.B3 BIOS, then follow the exact  "Win Flash Utility SOP v1.2" guide which should work.

RTC battery removal

XC-105 BIOS Authentication Menu

• maths88
    maths88 Member Posts: 4 New User
    It worked, thank you for the info!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    maths88 said:
    It worked, thank you for the info!
    Good and I'm glad to be of help, happy computing and take care.