C drive cloning from hdd to ssd

Blackjag
Blackjag Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
If I clone only c drive from my hdd to ssd,  will I be able to boot my os from ssd? I don't want to re install my windows and don't want any software installed on C drive to reinstall again. 
Kindly help and suggest

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You should clone/migrate the whole HDD including the hidden EFI boot and recovery partitions to the SSD. If you are replacing the HDD with the SSD, the SSD will boot directly. If you are keeping the HDD installed and adding the SSD, you will probably have to disable the hidden EFI boot partition on the HDD so the SSD will always be the boot drive.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    You should clone/migrate the whole HDD including the hidden EFI boot and recovery partitions to the SSD. If you are replacing the HDD with the SSD, the SSD will boot directly. If you are keeping the HDD installed and adding the SSD, you will probably have to disable the hidden EFI boot partition on the HDD so the SSD will always be the boot drive.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Blackjag
    Blackjag Member Posts: 8 New User
    Thanks for replying. I
    It will be helpful if you can guide about that hidden EFI thing 
  • JackE
    Clone the HDD to the SSD first. Then disconnect the HDD and make sure the SSD boots by itself. Then we go from there to backup and disable the HDD's hidden EFI partition so it doesn't interfere with the SSD boot process. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ