Aspire E1-731-4699

Callie
Callie Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi I hope I post this in the correct section.

My laptop is older so I wasn’t really sure where to place this question.

So I own an Aspire E1-731-4699, all brand new and still stock hardware and software from Newegg - it’s about 4 years old. I’m running Windows 7.  ( before anyone asks, yes I prefer windows 7 and I like the large 17.3 screen size hahahahaha). I use in only for word documents and I run adobe suite etc just fine on it.

About two months ago, my screen would flick black for a fraction of a second maybe once up to three times per day - totally random, not every day either...and not when certain programs are running, just completely random. No lines are shown , just flick to black, then back to normal.

So I’ve tried a few changes which haven’t worked: I changed the setting for when the lid closes, not to shutdown...I’ve checked the graphics driver to see if it needed to be updated, it says it doesn’t....changed the sleep settings to never.

so I’m wondering does anyone have any other ideas or settings I need to check? Or what might be wrong on my beast?

thx

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Is there any chance the glitch is related to opening or closing the laptop? Sometimes the eDP cable that goes through between the bottom and top portions of the laptop develops cracks in the wires, and just flexing it a bit can cause that type of symptom.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Callie
    Callie Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    Is there any chance the glitch is related to opening or closing the laptop? Sometimes the eDP cable that goes through between the bottom and top portions of the laptop develops cracks in the wires, and just flexing it a bit can cause that type of symptom.
    Thanks for the reply.

i actually leave the lid open all the time, and the random black screen happens when no one has touched it or bumped it or touched the table or walked on the floor......just sitting there peacefully......so odd.

i changed the lid setting just by chance in case there was a bump or vibration - making it think the lid might close.

And like you I wanted to rule that out, so of course, I touched/tapped the lid, bumped the laptop and desk, stomped on the ground, picked it up in a sloppy way etc., nothing I did made the screen flick to black.

I was hoping not to need to take it apart. Do you think I should attempt digging around to that cable?

tux for more ideas