ACER PC slowed down after 4 weeks Aspire XC895

OSK
OSK Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Bought an Acer Aspire XC895 Desktop 4 weeks ago. It was very fast at start; however, I noticed recently that it takes too long to boot up. Not sure if link but this seems to coincide with Norton free subscription expiring. Any advice on how to fix the issue please?
Thanks.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @OSK,

Have you uninstalled the Norton Antivirus ?   
    I suppose within the last four weeks you added programs and browsers or probably adding drives to your PC. 
    This happened to my PC too. The more software and hardware (except hardware upgrades such as M.2 NVMe SSD) that I added, the more time it will take for boot up. Well, when my PC was first boot up (after Windows 10 setup), it took 6-7 seconds to the "Hello" login photo, adding some programs it then took 12 seconds, further adding SATA HDD and SSD brought it to 24 seconds, and I was using PCIE 3.0 x2 M.2 NVMe SSD. When boot up, significant amount of time is spent in the P.O.S.T. process, once getting to the reading part of the M.2 NVMe SSD things get fast again. So, I think it is normal.

Adding antivirus software to a PC will greatly slow down a PC, as every thing will be filtered by the program.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Osk,
           I think if you can skip the POST process in BIOS, that will speed up the boot time.
  • OSK
    OSK Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @OSK,

Have you uninstalled the Norton Antivirus ?   
    I suppose within the last four weeks you added programs and browsers or probably adding drives to your PC. 
    This happened to my PC too. The more software and hardware (except hardware upgrades such as M.2 NVMe SSD) that I added, the more time it will take for boot up. Well, when my PC was first boot up (after Windows 10 setup), it took 6-7 seconds to the "Hello" login photo, adding some programs it then took 12 seconds, further adding SATA HDD and SSD brought it to 24 seconds, and I was using PCIE 3.0 x2 M.2 NVMe SSD. When boot up, significant amount of time is spent in the P.O.S.T. process, once getting to the reading part of the M.2 NVMe SSD things get fast again. So, I think it is normal.

Adding antivirus software to a PC will greatly slow down a PC, as every thing will be filtered by the program.

Thanks. I have not uninstall Norton. I am using the limited version.
    I have untick quick booting option (after reading online) and for some reasons this has done the trick.
    OSK
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer
    Uninstall the Norton, those full features antivirus apps tend to use a lot of resources. Windows Defender does a decent job and uses a lot fewer resources.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.