My Aspire E 15 - can't connect to 2.4 ghz but can connect to 5 ghz

davidk3
davidk3 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

As of a week ago, my aspire can not connect to my 2.4ghz.  It has no problem connecting to the 5ghz.  I have another laptop and my iphone.  They both can connect to both with no problems.  What do you recommend we do to fix this?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It's probably too late by now since the issue surfaced two months ago,  but check for an automatic Win10 restore point in Control Panel's restore point app with a date time/stamp on or about this time. If it's already been auto-deleted or System Protection was disabled, then about all I can suggest now is to download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it picks up a newer driver that restore 2.4GHz band operation or if that fails do a full ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset to help rule in or rule out a card hardware failure. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Open Device Manager and click on network adapters. Right click properties on the wifi adapter. Click advanced tab. Click preferred band. Set to none instead of 5GHz. If it was mine, I'd leave it a 5GHz. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• davidk3

Tinkerer

I just tried this and it did not work.  Any other suggestions?
  • JackE
    If for some reason you must connect at 2.4GHz, then set the preferred band at 2.4GHz in Device Manager instead of none. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• KayPee
    KayPee Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have exactly the same problem on my Acer Spin 5. Did you find a solution @davidk3
    Anybody else??
  • davidk3

Tinkerer

@KayPee - No I can not connect and the advice given here does not work.  Its really annoying.
  • JackE
    Why do you want to connect to the router at slower speeds? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• davidk3

Tinkerer

Jack - that is besides the point.  The fact is that the computer does not connect to 2G, which is unacceptable.  But to answer your question, my printer at home does not connect to 5G and can only connect to 2G.  As such, I can not print wireless from my acer computer which is super annoying!

Understand now?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    It's probably too late by now since the issue surfaced two months ago,  but check for an automatic Win10 restore point in Control Panel's restore point app with a date time/stamp on or about this time. If it's already been auto-deleted or System Protection was disabled, then about all I can suggest now is to download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it picks up a newer driver that restore 2.4GHz band operation or if that fails do a full ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset to help rule in or rule out a card hardware failure. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• davidk3

Tinkerer

The restore system app actually worked and I can not connect to the 2.4GHz.  What has the restoring system app actually done besides allowing me to connect to then 2.4GHz?  Do I need to do this repeatedly going forward?  Thank you!
  • davidk3

Tinkerer

I meant - I can "now" connect to 2.4GHz.  
  • JackE
    You must now temporarily block the errant update that caused the issue by using Microsoft's update hide tool.  What this does is prevent this update from auto re-installing until a future update addresses the issue.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ