Cannot enter BIOS after adding a 2.5 1TB SSD to an empty slot in Acer Swift 3 - SF315-52-88A4

doug_fa
doug_fa Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I recently bought a 2.5 1TB SSD (Samsung QVO 870) to add to my current notebook SF315-52-88A4. My manufacturer configuration includes a M2 SATA 256GB SSD. However, there are models that come with a 2.5 HDD as well, for this reason my model has a empty bay to add a 2.5 drive. I thought this could be a good opportunity to increase my internal storage. 

After doing some research, I changed SATA mode from RST with optane (My notebook doesn't have optane, but this was default) to AHCI. Then, I bought the following cable at Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Swift-3-SF315-52G-82TV-SF315-HDD-Hard-Drive-CABLE-Caddy-Bracket-USA-cdj/283616874618?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649).

Unfortunately, when I connect the new SSD I cannot even enter the BIOS, my screen freezes at the ACER logo. So any suggestion on how to handle this issue will be more than welcome.

My BIOS is UEFI mode only, I already disabled Secured Boot/Fast boot but nothing changed. 

Best Answer

• doug_fa

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Good News!!! I bought a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 2.5 HDD and was able to successfully add it to the empty slot on my Acer Swift 3.
    Despite a few comments around saying it is possible to add a 2.5 SSD, I can guarantee through personal experience that only an HDD has 100% chance to work. Thanks for all the suggestions, @brummyfan2!

Answers

• Hi,
    What happens when you remove the new 2.5" SSD? if you haven't tried, remove the new SSD and boot with the original SSD and access the BIOS, switch back to RST with Optane, AHCI was designed for older 2.5" HDD and I would suggest you use only RST with optane mode.
    If you can not access BIOS after removing new SSD, switch off the laptop, disconnect from mains and follow the battery reset procedure shown in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 15Mins, reconnect AC adapter and fully charge the battery before start using.
    Acer Internal Battery Reset - Acer Community

• doug_fa

Tinkerer

Hi brummyfan,

Thanks a lot for your reply. 
    When I remove the new SSD, everything works fine and the system will boot normally. I have already tried to connect the new 2.5 SSD in RST with optane before trying in AHCI mode. The exact same thing happens in RST and AHCI mode.
  • Hi,
    No problem, I suspect either it's caused by faulty SSD(DOA) or the faulty cable because others have installed 1TB HDD in this model, I would check the SSD and the cable in another laptop if it's possible.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29582611
  • doug_fa

Tinkerer

Hi,

The SSD is working properly when I connect it to the notebook using a SATA to USB cable. I'll try to buy the original cable from an ACER supplier and I'll update the thread once I have it done.

Thanks!
  • doug_fa

Tinkerer

Just bought the hard drive cable (50.GZCN5.005) at CapitalData (https://capitaldatausa.com/) by phone. It costed $34 + $9 shipping. A little bit more expensive than I wish but as long as it works it will be fine. It will probably take a week until I have the cable in my hands. Keep you posted!
  • doug_fa

Tinkerer

Finally, the original cable was delivered. But still the same issue! :(
    After digging a lot and considering my personal experience, I am confident to say this Acer Swift 3 model does not support 2.5 SSDs.
    Even knowing that some alternative models come with an 2.5 HDD, I wonder if it will support adding an HDD.

Please if you have successfully added or know somebody else that has added an 2.5 HDD to this model please let me know which HDD you used.
    I may consider buying an HDD to try, but I right now I am feeling frustrated for the money I have spent with cables and SSD and still haven't succeed.
  • doug_fa

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Good News!!! I bought a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 2.5 HDD and was able to successfully add it to the empty slot on my Acer Swift 3.
    Despite a few comments around saying it is possible to add a 2.5 SSD, I can guarantee through personal experience that only an HDD has 100% chance to work. Thanks for all the suggestions, @brummyfan2!