[SWIFT SF314-42] Thread Stuck In Device Driver

Shigaraplouille
Shigaraplouille Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello everyone!

I come to see you, because after a month, I am giving up.
It's been a month now that randomly, when my computer has its screen down, it randomly reboots.
Nothing bad, but in the long run the amount of work and wasted time is starting to wear me out.

My computer is an Acer Swift 3 SF314-42, bought at the beginning of July:

Specs :
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U
    RAM : 16GB
    GPU: Renoir, integrated in the processor

I tried to reinstall the AMD drivers, without success.
I also tried to uninstall the AMD drivers with DDU and tried to reinstall the adapted drivers, while disabling the automatic choice of Windows drivers, without success.

I installed WhoCrashed in order to understand a minimum of what's going on, and here's the output: 
On Sat 26/09/2020 14:58:48 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092620-10187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x426AD) 
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFB58CF1335040, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning. 
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sat 26/09/2020 14:58:48 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x68C70) 
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFB58CF1335040, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0351088.inf_amd64_5c53c283ef0069b6\B351149\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning. 
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). 
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Comments

• dancemonkeymadness
    dancemonkeymadness Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Have you tried just literally starting over from scratch by reinstalling Windows? This is one of those cases where it sounds like you've gone so deep now, it will be simpler and quicker to just reinstall the OS... that is, assuming you haven't tried that already. Do you have any other threads on this issue that you could link me to?
  • Shigaraplouille
    Shigaraplouille Member Posts: 3 New User
    A month later !
    Yes I tried to reinstall Windows from scratch, but the problem was still here.
    Then I sent the computer to Acer Support and they changed the motherboard.
    Guess what ? The problem is still here ...
    There's a lot of other thread with the same problem, but not on this model. I think the problem just appears randomly ...
  • Tarik02
    Tarik02 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Same problem...
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    A month later !
    Yes I tried to reinstall Windows from scratch, but the problem was still here.
    Then I sent the computer to Acer Support and they changed the motherboard.
    Guess what ? The problem is still here ...
    There's a lot of other thread with the same problem, but not on this model. I think the problem just appears randomly ...

Have you tried different "Power Options" as it seems to me that the laptop does not switch itself off and there could be a wrong setting. Have you got it set to 'hibernate when the lid is closed' or the laptop to 'turn off' when the lid is closed'? Or go into "Change advanced power settings" and "Sleep" and change settings there and see if that fixes your problem. 
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Is your BIOS updated to latest version?
This discussion has been closed.