Acer Swift 3 "freezes"

stephen1111
stephen1111 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

My laptop Acer Swift 3  goes dead on me, though the light behind the keyboard stays on. The only way I have solved this is the keep pressing the power button until the laptop switches off and then restart, after which the laptop is fine. I think this procedure is probably not good for the laptop. What can I do.?

//Edited the content to add model name.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    If you have a battery reset pinhole( 2 in my snip), switch off the laptop, disconnect from mains and follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 15Mins, reconnect the AC adapter and fully charge the battery before start using.
    https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/75-acer-internal-battery-reset

• stephen1111

Tinkerer

thank you very much. so far things are working. 
  • steveonmars
    steveonmars Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    My laptop is doing the same thing. I DO NOT have a reset pinhole. How do I fix this?
  • stephen1111

Tinkerer

I am not a techie so cannot really comment. The freezing is still happening with me but less often. I wonder if it is an ACER problem or a Windows problem or the interaction between the two. I notice that the freezing only happens when I am not using the laptop and seems to happen less often when the power cable is not connected and when the USB ports are not being used.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Try going into the advanced setting for power and looking at whether it turns off the drive or not. If the drive is powered off but the system hasn't shut down it can take a while to bring it back up... Just make sure you set the drive to either not power off during sleep or set it to power off well after sleep mode has been entered.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stephen1111

Tinkerer

Hi Billsey. Thanks for your input. I had a look at the advanced settings for power but the drive was not mentioned there. The settings shown are only for 1) desktop background settings (slide show), 2) Sleep, 3) Display and 4) Battery
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Just checked on my Spin 5 and I see the same thing, since it doesn't have a HDD that option isn't there. Try turning on the hibernate option and change all the sleep settings to hibernate. If that clears it up we know for sure it's an app that's not sleeping...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.