CB3-531 wifi module

Mike10000
Mike10000 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Chromebook CB3-531-C4A5 in which the wifi keeps dropping connection. I have the Intel 7260NGW which I decided to replace. I thought that possibly the Intel 9260NGW would be hardware & software compatible so I purchased that thinking I might get increased network speed.

Turns out it doesn't work. I don't think the 9260NGW is even recognized by the OS but I thought I'd get an error code anyway. But nothing. I do think the 9260NGW is only compatible with some Intel processors but not others. Is this the problem or is it something else or should it work? 

Thanks, Mike

Answers

• Mike10000

Tinkerer

Another question... Why are the 7260NGW wifi modules hardware specific i.e. on Amazon some of those are listed for "Dell", or "Chrome", etc? I would think the 7260NGW wifi module would be hardware independant/generic & when recognized by the computer as new hardware the computer would set up all the settings to its liking.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Chromebooks are somewhat ... special when it comes to the hardware. I believe the firmware on the MB has to be redone to change WiFi cards. Contact Acer support to see what they say.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

It's not just Chromebooks. On Amazon the different listings for the 7260NGW specify particular brands & models that the WIFI modules are compatible with. But they have the generic 7260NGW part number.

Does anyone know the specific part number for the Acer Chromebook CB3-531-C4A5 WIFI module? Even though on Amazon there doesn't appear to be a specific p/n, just the generic 7260NGW & then list the models it is compatible with. Picture is shown in the attachment...

Thanks,

Mike

• billsey
    I was serious when I said "Special"... Here's a clip from the SG:
    Re-configuring the HWID requires a trip to Acer. They use a mix of custom hardware and software to do it. It might be that the Acer specific is all that's needed and when you put a different one in is when you have to re-configure. The Acer number is: KI.WKN01.003
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020
    Mike10000 said:
    I have an Acer Chromebook CB3-531-C4A5 in which the wifi keeps dropping connection. I have the Intel 7260NGW which I decided to replace. I thought that possibly the Intel 9260NGW would be hardware & software compatible so I purchased that thinking I might get increased network speed.

Turns out it doesn't work. I don't think the 9260NGW is even recognized by the OS but I thought I'd get an error code anyway. But nothing. I do think the 9260NGW is only compatible with some Intel processors but not others. Is this the problem or is it something else or should it work? 

Thanks, Mike

There must be a reason why your wifi/bt card is "dropping connection"? These cards just don’t go broke! Have you checked the driver(s) and or the physical connection of this card? See if the card has not come lose, antenna wires haven’t come lose, update drivers and also try to reboot and after logging into windows press either F3 key or Fn + F3 keys together to activate wifi/bt as your wifi/bt should work. Acer deigned your Chromebook with that wifi/bt card for a reason and changing it will only cause you problems. 

• Mike10000

Tinkerer

It's a Chromebook thus I don't think I have access to the drivers, maybe in developer mode. I did swap it out with the 9260, didn't work, so I did reinstall the 7260. There is an Intel 7265 WIFI module that I believe might be an upgrade. I don't mind buying which ever one works, they are only like $20 to $25. But I have yet to find one that says it's for the Acer Chromebook 15 (15.6" display) Series, much less the CB3-531.

I'll probably PowerWash it (return it to factory original conditions) to see if that helps.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

Thanks billsey. I see what you mean now by "special". I'm an electrical engineer in the semiconductor world so I thought I'd be able to figure it out. I'm much more familiar with PCs than I am Chromebooks. I know how to find & download drivers in the PC world for hardware but from what little I know about Chromebooks they do all that for us. They just usually work & no hassle with all the antivirus, etc software as Google provides that. I have 2 of these that my family just uses for web browsing.

Acer support comes with a charge, I'm guessing with a minimum of $100 but I don't know so I'll check it out. I just figured with my model only having support for software upgrades for about another year I wouldn't throw much good money at it. I can just go buy another newer Chromebook used for not much more.
  • billsey
    Yeah, for people like us the Windows or Linux machines are just easier, because we can get in and tweak as needed. The target market for Chromebooks are the people who just do browsing and nothing else, and they tend to be at the mercy of Google for clean drivers. If you are still in warranty Acer will fix it for free, but potentially with a shipping cost. Out of warranty they tend to have flat rate repairs that I'm guessing assume a MB swap. Diagnosing WLAN issues can be really difficult because so often the root cause is in the radio reception which can be very dependent on antenna positioning, wire impedance in the antenna wires and the number of routers in the vicinity broadcasting on the channel in use. Most urban and suburban environments have lots and lots of routers nearly within range. I'm in a more rural, small town environment and my systems currently sees seven SSIDs in the 2.4GHz bands and five in the 5GHz bands. I remember checking in a relative's townhouse and seeing thirty or more. :)
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

I'm pretty sure mine is a heat problem with the WIFI module. Upon power-up, after sitting overnight, it works fine for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then it loses the connection. I can turn the radio off, wait 5 seconds, turn it back on, & it automatically connects & works fine for anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes then disconnects again. It also appears timewise to be a little dependant on how hard the module is working i.e. video connection it disconnects quicker than if I'm just web browsing. Based on that I don't think it is the driver. And certainly doesn't warrant a complete MB swap-out by Acer which they would probably say was necessary.

I have 2 identical Chromebooks so I'll probably, just for the fun of it, swap out the WIFI modules & see if the problem follows the bad module. I suspect it will. I'll probably open a repair ticket with Acer support just to find out what they would charge to give me the part number I need to order or maybe I can order it from them.
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

billsey, Thanks for that id number KI.WKN01.003. I just searched it & found it "New" on eBay for 8 bucks & free shipping. 

Where did you find that id number?
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

Does "clip from the SG" mean Service Guide or Safety Guide?
  • billsey
    Service Guide...
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

I saw the Safety Guide in the list of manuals for that Chromebook but I didn't see the Service Guide. Is that something I can buy or do I have to be an Authorized Service Center?

Thanks,
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

Acer responded to my service request inquiry & let me know for that particular model there is a $154.99 standard fee. I think I'll see if that $8 WIFI module works. Plus I went ahead & bought an Acer Model CB515-1H used off eBay, supposedly in excellent condition, for $245 including shipping. My 2 Acer Chromebooks I currently have stop getting software updates in Sept '21 & the CB515 is good until June '24.
  • billsey
    Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    I'm supposed to get the WIFI module on Monday so I'll let you know. Is the Service Manual for Acer Chromebooks something I can buy or get thru some means? My email is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

[Thread edited to remove personal content]
  • billsey
    Nope, the SG isn't publicly available.
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

Well, this is anticlimatic. I received the $8 WIFI module on Saturday & I turned on the Chromebook which I'd powered down for a few days. I wanted to see it fail and then I would replace the module. It's now been 2 days & it hasn't dropped the connection yet. I'll replace it when it fails in the same manner as previously & let you know.
  • billsey
    Heheh, I get calls all the time to fix something going wrong with their computer, and as often as not as soon as I get on the phone it starts working again. You just are intimidating your computer into proper behavior. :)
  • Mike10000

Tinkerer

I left it on for 24 hours running YouTube video/audio (muted) & it never dropped the connection. Go figure.