STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION Nitro 5

Lugnut
Lugnut Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I'm having nothing but grief with this Nitro 5 that I purchased 2 weeks ago to replace an HP laptop that had an unrecoverable hard drive failure.  The problem is crashing web browsers with the message STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION or Oh, snap or Browser Page Crashed.  Message dependent on what browser that I tried and I found that the problem exists on all that I've tried so far with Opera being the most unstable.  Chrome and Edge frequently crash as does Firefox which I've used for years and is my favorite browser.  So far the only browser that I've been able to use has been Brave although it still crashes.  I've followed various memes of those that have encountered this problem with no solution and some have gone to the extreme of doing a total system restore only to find out that they still have the problem.  I can't trust this laptop at all since I just tried purchasing something online and having it crash during the end of the credit card payment phase leaving me hanging as I had no confirmation of the sale or shipping.  I'm extremely disappointed to have just bought a new laptop to be confronted with a significant problem right off the bat.  I've tried some of the suggested work around for Chrome, and Edge such as the command line --no-sandbox or renaming the executable file for chrome.  Nothing that I've tried has worked and I'm about ready to resell this POS and to have the hard drive in my HP laptop replaced.  Does anyone have a solution to this dilemma?  I would really like to use this laptop since the 1080 graphics are amazing and it is incredibly fast compared to my previous laptops.

Answers

• ruzzah
    ruzzah Member Posts: 3 New User
    Following this thread. Currently experiencing the same issue with my Helios 300 2020.
    From what I observed, this happens to me when I'm unplugged, and more times when the power mode uses "Best Battery Life". 
    I hope someone can help with this.
  • Lugnut
    Lugnut Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2021
    Nearly 6 months have passed since I first posted on here seeking a solution to a big problem with the new Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop that I bought in September of 2020.  I've had a chronic problem from brand new out of the box with the computer being completely useless for internet use and web surfing due to a recurring browser crash with a message status_access_violation or "Oh Snap" depending on which browser that I've tried and I've tried them all.  The only exception is the original Microsoft Internet Explorer found in the Windows Accessories that works flawlessly without issues but is also no longer compatible with most websites.  The fact that it works flawlessly with Internet Explorer yet crashes continually using Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Opra etc., indicates to me that this is a software and coding issue not hardware related.  I am extremely disappointed that I spent $1,000 for this useless POS doorstop that no one seems to have a fix, software update or patch to correct this issue.  When the hard drive in my HP Laptop failed I decided to buy this Nitro 5 laptop instead of having my HP repaired.  I decided to purchase this "Gaming Computer" to treat myself to a more impressive graphics experience and for the speed capability to no avail.  Here is what I have tried so far by my research to make this laptop work.  I have renamed the executable files of Edge, Firefox, Chrome etc, to no avail.  I have done 2 complete system restores and the second restore avoided installing any of my usual programs in the even that they installed coding that caused the problem and as soon as I tried any browser it crashed again.  What I have done since then is paid to have my HP laptop repaired by replacing the failed hard drive with an SSD that I should have done in the first place and filed this Acer POS away until a solution is found.  If anyone knows of a proper solution to this issue please advise me by sending me an email to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Thanks

[Thread edited to remove inappropriate or personal content]
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited February 2021
    How OS related issue is related to the Nitro HW? You better write this same "complain" to MS...
    Solution - install fresh copy of windows!
    P.S. Tnis forum is not an official Acer support channel and we  are users like you.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• emsian
    emsian Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2021
    batmalin us users that are having this issue greatly appreciate your "install fresh copy of windows" Now let me tell you what's really going on here. It is not an OS related issue as I have installed multiple different distros from scratch clean copies. SSD OS is shorthand of what is going on. Only thing that I have found is it's an overheating issue that has created a cold "dry" solder joint somewhere inside. The best bet , that I have found so far is pull your screws and pop the underside off of your unit. take a soft bristle toothbrush and clean the blades of your fans. Afterwards doing so go and hit the fans with your compressed air. pop your underside of unit back on and reinstall your screws. As soon as you get the unit to boot open up your Nitro Sense and select power saver for your power option. By doing so you're lowering the voltage supplied which also lowers the heat that is created. then top left under "fan control" select max and let your fans run at maximum RPM.  This may or may not work for some users as damage that is done to each unit is different , but this is what is working for me thus far. These are my findings after installing fresh copies of WIN10 , Ubuntu 20 LTS , Mint and Element OS on unit and having same results of browser crashes reguardless of browser being used or Operating System as I said before SSD OS. Best bet is get it into a qualified repair shop or send it directly to Acer to have it serviced.
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Did you read the OP posts? IE is working with no crash but every other browser is crashing...
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• emsian
    emsian Member Posts: 2 New User
    As I previously stated it's not software it's your hardware. *.*

***UPDATE***
    decided to pop the lid off the bottom of unit and remove the original 8GB RAM module. I had gone and installed another 16GB RAM module before ever turning the machine on for the very first time. I had done the extended RAM diagnostics and it came back clean without showing any issues.
    Reason why it came back clean was that it did not get to that breakpoint of Temperature that was causing the expansion of said module. Each case and machine is going to be different but my machine when it would reach the 40 C temp is when it would start crashing. 
    Since I removed the RAM module and put back together the machine has been running fine for last 24 hours , but have yet to change the power setting from powersaver and the fans are still running at maximum RPM. If you have both channels loaded with modules remove one and reboot and test. if still doing the same as previous. Swap those RAM modules and retest.  Hopefully this helps someone as so far so good it's been no crashes when it would normally crash at least 6 times a day. Sure way to know it is if you simply have a regular browser window open and you go under your taskmanager and it says that there is like 6 to 8 gb of ram in use when it's just normal page.. nothing like google , yahoo , bing etc as these pages have 40 or more things loading on them. TEST YOUR RAM by swapping the modules. WIll check back in a week with update on how machine has been running. Meanwhile best of luck.