TC-710 motherboard; power to usb ports?

erft
erft Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Since my computer is out of warranty, Acer will not answer my question. I hope somebody here knows.

I have multiple portable drives (6) that I usually have all plugged into the computer at the same time. There has been concern over the usb ports being able to provide enough power to that many drives. The question I'm being asked is "What does the motherboard maker claim about support of this many USB drives?"
I don't know much about computers and am being prodded by someone to ask. I have used Speccy to get some details but I don't know if the answer to the question is in there. I've pasted them down below. 
Would anyone here know the answer?

Thanks.

The motherboard details from Speccy: 
Manufacturer Acer
Model Aspire TC-710 (U3E1)
Version V:1.1
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Skylake
Chipset Revision 07
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model Skylake PCH
Southbridge Revision 31

BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version R01-B1
Date 07/02/2017

Voltage
CPU CORE 0.836 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1.331 V
VIN2 2.013 V
VIN3 0.583 V
VIN4 1.815 V
VIN6 0.781 V

PCI Data
Slot PCI-E x16
Slot Type PCI-E x16
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation PCIE16X
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation PCIE1X_1
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI-E Gen 2 x1
Slot Type PCI-E Gen 2 x1
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation M.2
Slot Number 2

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The TC-710 meets spec for power output on each of the USB ports. That gives you 500mA on the USB 2.0 ports and 900mA on USB 3.0 ports. I don't believe you have any 3.1 gen 1 or 3.1 gen 2 ports which have higher budgets.
    Often you can actually pull more than spec, and a lot of older external drives take advantage and exceed spec, but you should just plan on spec and no more. If you have a device that pulls more put it on a powered hub.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The TC-710 meets spec for power output on each of the USB ports. That gives you 500mA on the USB 2.0 ports and 900mA on USB 3.0 ports. I don't believe you have any 3.1 gen 1 or 3.1 gen 2 ports which have higher budgets.
    Often you can actually pull more than spec, and a lot of older external drives take advantage and exceed spec, but you should just plan on spec and no more. If you have a device that pulls more put it on a powered hub.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • erft
    erft Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank-you, billsey.