How to install Linux on Acer One 10?s

Options
System
System Member Posts: 4,520 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: How to install Linux on Acer One 10?.

Answers

• Joe78
    Joe78 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I have an S1002 but I do NOT have the menu option under the boot order in that video.

I can get puppy linux to boot and run but it will not install flat out refuses to try.

I got siltraz to load but wifi was not working so I have no way to fix the bugs

anyone had any luck?

Thanks
  • Joe78

Tinkerer

edited May 2021
    Options
    Joe78 said:
    I have an S1002 but I do NOT have the menu option under the boot order in that video.

I can get puppy linux to boot and run but it will not install flat out refuses to try.

anyone had any luck?

Thanks

Joe78 said:

anyone had any luck?

Thanks
    Happy to say i am making this post on my Acer one 10 s1002 using installed linux.

Here are the steps i took and what does not work.

(Things i used: usb thub drive, 3 port powered micro usb hub, usb keyboard, usb mouse)

(optional: usb sound card)

Tried many distros but eventually sparky linux 64 ALMOST worked.

It didnt like the 32 bit uefi

So i got 32 bit sparky linux which was fairly simple with a couple tips i will share

(Warning my keyboard dock is broken i do NOT know if it would work)

(I used a powered micro usb hub with usb keyboard and mouse)

Biggest thing is after loading the live usb run gparted and make sure your hard drive has an ms dos partition table

Will also point out i used the micro usb on the screen side not the usb on the keyboard

This solved the install not knowing what to do with my gpt table.

If you need more info, in gparted click the device menu at top.

Sparky installed nicely after that and booted right up

Right away i tested things, audio, screen rotation and bluetooth do not function

While the touch screen works i have not solved how to right click yet without the usb mouse.... BUT...

The windows logo at screen bottom is considered the Super_L keyboard key

I've read that it could be mapped for left click

Sparky comes with florence on screen keyboard but i prefer onboard and installed it in synaptic easily

The speakers do NOT work but it looks like sparky did detect hdmi output as that is listed as not connected

My solution for now is my usb sound card worked perfect when plugged in

hope this helps you all!

If I learn more I will share!

• Joe78

Tinkerer

Options
    projjwal said:
    I recently bought a used Acer One 10, looking to use it mainly for embedded c++ and circuitpython stuff.
    I checked that it is an Intel Atom Z3735F x64 quad-core processor based machine.
    What I had not expected was that the factory OEM Windows installation was 32-bit
    Also the UEFI was locked and there appears to be no way to use legacy mode (I'd love to be proved wrong, feel free to correct me)
    the BIOS appears to be v1.10 from American Megatrends Inc.
    I was trying to get it to boot Linux but so far my attempts have been futile.
    On online forums, certain people did mention using a "boota32.efi" file in the EFI/BOOT folder to get it running x64 version of Linux distros but so far I could only get it to boot GRUB 2.0 on Ubuntu (not any further, even after editing the grub entry and replacing the "splash" with "video=VGA...")
    and on trying the same thing with fedora gives boot error and the "minimal BASH like line editing is..." screen
    However, trying the same with android-x86 N7.1.2 x64 resulted in a full boot, albeit with many commonly noted issues like brightness control gone and sound.
    but the touchscreen didn't work, probably due to lack of touchscreen drivers
    can anybody please point me to a guide or tutorial (or post the required steps here) to getting any Linux distro running on this machine
    or even Android-x86 (with touchscreen working) on this device?
    I'd be forever grateful to them
    Thanks for bearing with me through this long post.
    Happy to report that I have made even more progress on the install on Acer one 10 S1002

FEDORA LINUX installs with ease and no special instructions

Everything I tested is working

Audio is even working well

As I previously said my keyboard dock is NOT functional it is working completely in tablet mode

Have not tested Bluetooth yet for the record but suspect it works

Have not tested screen rotation yet as my desktop of choice (LXQT) does not support this feature

Only hiccup was getting the repository software working well and finding repositories with the software I wanted

This was solved by disabling dnfdragora-updater in session-settings > autostart

It was causing conflicts running on startup and can still be manually run anytime

As for repositories simple google or duckduckgo search "dnf install softwarename" helped me find repos

I have a VERY functional tablet now running GREAT
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Joe78 Have you checked if a bios update solves the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Joe78

Tinkerer

Options
    Bios update wasn't necessary I had to go into the secure boot sub menus and delete my ufi codes and install the factory direct ones.

More good news Sparkylinux works very well also, save the sound seems to only support hdmi.

Also Raspberry Pi OS for PCs is 32 bit only but installs easier than fedora and works slightly better (in fedora you have to mute hdmi to get speakers, in Raspberry Pi OS this works right from install.)

I am sticking with RPiOS

Thanks
  • vic87
    vic87 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Joe78 said:
    Bios update wasn't necessary I had to go into the secure boot sub menus and delete my ufi codes and install the factory direct ones.

More good news Sparkylinux works very well also, save the sound seems to only support hdmi.

Also Raspberry Pi OS for PCs is 32 bit only but installs easier than fedora and works slightly better (in fedora you have to mute hdmi to get speakers, in Raspberry Pi OS this works right from install.)

I am sticking with RPiOS

Thanks
    @joe78 I have Acer One 10 S1002 as well, and i try to install Fedora Works well only not detect webcam and Microphone , so i feel want to changing it to Raspberry Pi OS 32bit, but i was a beginner of all this, may i know how to install Raspberry Pi OS 32bit into Acer one 10 s1002 ? i tried make an bootable iso using Rufus but it fails to boot up  :'( 
    (English is not my mother tongue; please excuse any errors on my part.)