Acer Aspire E5-574 intermittent power on problems - damaged battery reset button

Options
ils
ils Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, trying to troubleshoot an older laptop that is mainly left switched on all the time, will sleep and reset without any problems, shows battery as not connected/not charging (unsure which) but when the mains power is disconnected instantly dies and then will fail to restart with reliability, at this point I usually try all the guides and troubleshooting steps I can find to doing a partial strip down removing the internal and cmos battery for 20+ mins and find none of this helps, have tested the power supply and power port is working and getting voltage to the motherboard. Then anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days later the laptop will power on by just pushing the power button.

So on this tear down I noticed the battery reset button looks pushed in and you dont feel a 'click' when you press down on it, imagine this is a likely culprit and wondered if anyone had any experience or advice to deal with this, or if anyone knows that holding the battery reset button in whilst pressing the power button prevents boot.

Was also wondering if anyone knows if this laptop will boot without the al15a32 internal battery? Have tried without but see no visable difference but don't know if its possible with a working laptop :/
Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options
    Some mainboards still boot plugged in with the battery disconnected either by its main connector or the reset switch. Some don't. Unfortunately, the info we have access to don't specify. Before tearing into any hardware, I suggest that you first go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg   /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot of the top portion of report if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ