4TB NVME SSD boot issue in Nitro 5 an515-55-53ag

Clquake
Clquake Member Posts: 5 New User
I currently have 3 2tb SSD's (2 ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB/1 Sandisk SATA 2TB) installed, no boot issues. I replaced the non boot PCIE with a 4tb (ADATA XPG SX8100) and system will no longer boot. Shows up in BIOS. Drive works fine with a USB-C enclosure, works fine in my desktop. Formatted using GPT. Is there an issue with 4TB NVME's in this laptop?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,835 Trailblazer
    >>> Drive works fine with a USB-C enclosure>>>

With the drive in the enclosure, go to the elevated command prompt. The enter 'diskpart'. At the diskpart> prompt, enter 'list volume'. Post phoneshot of results if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Clquake
    Diskpart list (2nd PCIE slot currently empty)

• JackE
    Does it boot OK with the 2.5" drive temporarily disconnected? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Clquake
    It boots fine with or without the 2.5" SSD.
  • JackE
    I meant with the 4TB card connected? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Clquake
    With the 4TB drive installed, boot up goes into a boot loop, tries to repair, stops, reboots, stops, tries to repair, etc. I get the same result whether or not the 2.5" drive is installed or not.
  • JackE
    >>>Shows up in BIOS>>>

What is SATA mode? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jonye250
    Jonye250 Member Posts: 3 New User

what is the maximum storage capacity for an an515-55-53ag? for each of the m.2 ports .... and with this model which ones are compatible?
  • JackE
    Both sockets should be compatible with nvme cards. Theoretically, each should be able to handle an 8TB nvme card about the biggest capacity you can purchase today for consumer grade Win10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skhelter
    Skhelter Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have this laptop for my kids and was adding a similar hard drive.  Xpg SX8100 1Tb and it does not post in bios.  I do not have the option of easily testing the drive in an enclosure.  Was there ever a resolution to this problem?  Is this just a compatibility issue?
  • Skhelter
    Skhelter Member Posts: 2 New User
    Nevermind... ignore this old man.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,821 Trailblazer
    Skhelter said:
    I have this laptop for my kids and was adding a similar hard drive.  Xpg SX8100 1Tb and it does not post in bios.  I do not have the option of easily testing the drive in an enclosure.  Was there ever a resolution to this problem?  Is this just a compatibility issue?
    Using a 1TB M.2 drive should not be a problem, use the suggested Acer OEM 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen.3x4-8Gbits/s, bytes per
    sector 512 bytes, buffer size 512 MB and that has a voltage tolerance of 3.3V ±5% and you shouldn't have any problems, the M.2 drives that Acer recommends for their AN515-55 are these;
    • MICRON N8SP4 MTFDHBA1T0TCK-1AT15ABYY or the 
    • WDC N8SP4 SDBQNTY-1T00-1014 

• AccurseD
    AccurseD Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Did you find a solution? I have the same issue with my two Acer Nitro 5…