Hard drive corrupt. No auto-repair, restore. Which drivers needed and how to reinstall.

IMaRetiree75
IMaRetiree75 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Which factory drivers should be reinstalled after a new install? Auto repair and factory restart would not work, but partitions and most or all user data survived. Did Windoze 10 reinstall from USB stick, then migrated to (smaller - 500G) SSD. Which drivers need to be reinstalled and how is that done?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK, so you have the Kaby Lake CPU variant, start with the "Chipset Driver (Kabylake)" then "Virtual Buttons" and "ME (Management Engine) Driver". Those are the ones I think least likely for the Windows install to have gotten right.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Well... That really depends on what computer you have. :) In most cases Windows Update is enough to get the newest drivers installed, but in some you need to hit up the Acer support site for some.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IMaRetiree75
    Most things are working correctly, but there are some nagging actions that are less than optimal. Sleep mode no longer kills the display backlight, or have I missed some setting for this feature? Clicking numlock, capslock, and scrollock keys no longer shows an opened or closed padlock icon, but  I remedied this for now by installing a freeware tool called "TrayStatus Pro Trial 4.4", which I believe will ask for some money in the future. When I rotate the display into the "tablet" position, everything seems to work correctly, though. I had experienced some difficulties before, which made me swear off of using that mode.
  • billsey
    OK, if you can tell me the full model number I can look at the available drivers and give some suggestions as to which to try.
  • IMaRetiree75
    edited October 2020
    SP315-51-757C, MFG. DATE:2016/11/29, SNID:XXXX , SN:NXGK9AA021XXXX

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    OK, so you have the Kaby Lake CPU variant, start with the "Chipset Driver (Kabylake)" then "Virtual Buttons" and "ME (Management Engine) Driver". Those are the ones I think least likely for the Windows install to have gotten right.
  • IMaRetiree75
    OK, I am using the computer effectively now. However, I still cannot change the backlight intensity, nor does the backlight extinguish during a sleep period. Is there some obscure setting of which I am unaware?