USB boot option help.

System
System Member Posts: 4,542 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
This discussion was created from comments split from: No USB Boot option for Aspire 5.

Comments

• mamlaz
    mamlaz Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2020
    could someone please write how to add "boot from USB" to boot tab in bios. 
    I've been reading these threads here, watching youtube tutorials etc. for more than a week, but noone explained how to add that option.All of instructions are written as such an option is there. 

Mine Acer Swift 3 in boot tabs says only this: 

boot mode: UEFI 
    secure boot: disabled

boot priority order:
    1. UEFI_SHELL 

Nothing more....  

I have disabled secure boot and put a password in security tab, but I still don't have an option of booting from USB in the options. 

Also, when I installed Balena Etcher program, it wouldn't run. I've done it twice and still nothing. Balena Etcher window pops up and there is nothing there....  
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @mamlaz

Have you tried to keep pressing the F12 key (your motherboard  may be different, but usually F2, F8, F12 are the most common keys) three times a second during the boot up process until you see "Loading Bootmenu"?

I have the experience that my keyboard F12 key was defective, never able to reach the Bootmenu. Replaced the keyboard and then it is fine now.

However, I was able to boot USB device by making selection under the Boot tab of the BIOS during the period of having bad keyboard.
    Under the Boot tab of the BIOS, you can change the boot priority (or HDD priority) by moving the external USB device as the top priority boot device ( as long as this bootable device is already attached).

Note: You may want to start a new thread to get more attention. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,789 Trailblazer
    You are setup correctly to boot from USB now. What device are you trying to boot from? It should be also setup as UEFI...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.