Is there a separate Gateway Forum or have the Gateway and Acer Forms been merged?

Options
Mike_Lynch
Mike_Lynch Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
If I am using this Forum incorrectly, please tell me if and how I can get Gateway Profile answers.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    This is likely the best place, unless yours is one of those new Gateways that Walmart is selling. They have a different support venue. Which Gateway do you have and what's going on?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mike_Lynch

Tinkerer

Options
    I have a Gateway Profile 6.0 and a 6.5.
    The Gateway 6.0 is the one with the issue.
  • Mike_Lynch

Tinkerer

Options
    I had physically installed a new hard drive.
    I started installing Windows-7 Pro from the install disc.
    I set the date and time.
    The install hung up so I restarted it.
    I had to set the date and time again.
    The same thing happened again.
    I had to set the date and time.
    I decided to change the Battery and I did.
    From this point on, the PC would not get into the BIOS, there were no messages at all presented on the Monitor.
    I figured I could have a Memory problem so I swapped the Memory Modules, one for the other.
    Same results.
    Since I had the back cover off, I noticed a Red Flashing light labeled LED-1 blinking.
    It is located on the top center of the MOBO as you look into the PC with the back cover off.
    I do not know what this indicates but it appears to flash three times, then pause, then another three times, on and on.
    While this is happening, the Fan is running at full speed.
    That's where I am at.
  • billsey
    Options
    So the battery replacement was the right step to take and that's where things went wrong. I hope you had power disconnected when you did the swap? Is there any chance the battery isn't in right? That machine is old enough I don't find service info from Acer, so I can't look up the flash codes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mike_Lynch

Tinkerer

Options
    It's in correctly, I removed it again and re-seated it with the same results.
  • Mike_Lynch

Tinkerer

Options
    Is there anywhere I can view a schematic of the Motherboard?
    Perhaps there is a label that might further identify what the flashing light might be.
  • billsey
    Options
    No, it's old enough that Acer doesn't have a Service Guide or else I'd b able to look stuff up there for you. :(
  • Mike_Lynch

Tinkerer

Options
    No, Acer just dumped the Gateway stuff hoping to gain a few Acer sales.
    Lots of folks use the Profile Series as it is so resilient.
    Old yes but many Schools and Libraries just replacing them.
    Interestingly, they appear on the market in / on pallets of 10 or 20. 
    Other than yourself are there any other Gateway Users?
  • Babygurl
    Babygurl Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I am a Gateway user.  I am trying to register my notebook and it says the SN is incorrect.  I use all zeros, I cannot find a support/warranty link, nor is there any contact info on the Gateway or Acer site.
  • billsey
    Options
    It depends on where you bought your Gateway. The new Gateway models are all being sold by Walmart, and they provide the support for them.