Acer Aspire TC-605

caseyniam3
caseyniam3 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi I have a TC-605 and current version Bios is P11-B4. I was told by Microsoft the new updates will not download because my Bios is out of date, I checked here on Acer Support it does show Bios updates
1 shows 2015--- P11-B4   Another shows 2016  P11-B4L Modify version for Capsule update function. I can only assume this is the updated version before I download extract and flash this Bios I would like to know if this is the correct updated version for my specific desktop thank you in advanced.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi I have a TC-605 and current version Bios is P11-B4. I was told by Microsoft the new updates will not download because my Bios is out of date, I checked here on Acer Support it does show Bios updates
    1 shows 2015--- P11-B4   Another shows 2016  P11-B4L Modify version for Capsule update function. I can only assume this is the updated version before I download extract and flash this Bios I would like to know if this is the correct updated version for my specific desktop thank you in advanced.

The BIOS “P11-B4L - 1.Modify version for Capsule update function. Date: 2016/04/27” is the correct BIOS and one BIOS update from your OEM the P11-B4, the title of “Modify version for Capsule update function” could have something to do with your problem with the Microsoft new updates but, be very careful when updating BIOS and read the “README” that is included in this BIOS as that is the exact way to flash this BIOS! Acer warns you and categorially states “Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution”

Btw, this is an explanation of what BIOS “P11-B4L - 1.Modify version for Capsule update function” does and fixes: BIOS is responsible for low-level platform initialization and hand-off to the operating system. This means BIOS establishes root-of-trust for the platform. Signed capsules help assure that the correct update is being applied to the platform. Using signed images with UEFI Capsule allows an OS-agnostic process to provide verified BIOS updates, utilizing root-of-trust established by the BIOS. This scenario assumes the factory-provisioned BIOS and subsequent updates are signed with the same public/private keypair.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @caseyniam3

I am one who doesn't afraid of BIOS update. As long as no power outage occurred when flashing BIOS, things should be fine.
    If I were you, I'll update the earlier version first, then update the newer version a couple days later. Even the BIOS update may be related to something that I do not have problem with, as long as it won't hurt my PC, I 'll do it.
    Make sure to follow instructions. 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The BIOS “P11-B4L - 1.Modify version for Capsule update function. Date: 2016/04/27” is the correct BIOS and one BIOS update from your OEM the P11-B4, the title of “Modify version for Capsule update function” could have something to do with your problem with the Microsoft new updates but, be very careful when updating BIOS and read the “README” that is included in this BIOS as that is the exact way to flash this BIOS! Acer warns you and categorially states “Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution”

Btw, this is an explanation of what BIOS “P11-B4L - 1.Modify version for Capsule update function” does and fixes: BIOS is responsible for low-level platform initialization and hand-off to the operating system. This means BIOS establishes root-of-trust for the platform. Signed capsules help assure that the correct update is being applied to the platform. Using signed images with UEFI Capsule allows an OS-agnostic process to provide verified BIOS updates, utilizing root-of-trust established by the BIOS. This scenario assumes the factory-provisioned BIOS and subsequent updates are signed with the same public/private keypair.

• caseyniam3

Tinkerer

Thank you for the help in explaining the differance, and confirming it is the correct update. My next question is can you please guide me in the Bios update? I know nad understand I will be completing at my own risk, I would appreciate all your support thank you in advanced.
  • ttttt
    @caseyniam3

Since you found your BIOS versions, download them
    Click the zipped folder to decompress
    There will be several folders, follow the instructions from the methods of the Appendix folder, pick one method ( I like to use Windows 10 method, just a few clicks away)

REMEMBER TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS !

• caseyniam3

Tinkerer

I would love to choose the windows 10 method, however i am not sure how to choose this method. After downloading the zip file from Acer I extracted all to my desktop where I can see all files I dont see an option for Windows 10. After extraction I see these files only. Any further help is appreciated.

• ttttt
    @caseyniam3
    So your PC has AMI BIOS, the simple Win 10 flashing method is not available . The only choice is follow the README.pdf method step by step.
    May not be that simple, but it should work.
  • I would love to choose the windows 10 method, however i am not sure how to choose this method. After downloading the zip file from Acer I extracted all to my desktop where I can see all files I dont see an option for Windows 10. After extraction I see these files only. Any further help is appreciated.

Follow the README.pdf file instructions exactly! That tells you exactly how to do it step by step. Disable any malware and your anti-virus and don’t have any programs in the background, also make sure that the power supply to the computer is not interrupted in the middle of a BIOS update/flash.

• caseyniam3

Tinkerer

Just tried last night, followed the read me file, however after I boot in Bios I change settings as the read me shows then press f10 to save and exit, then on reboot press F12 to choose boot device all I see is this. So I choose exit went back revert settings and came back here so I dont make any misteaks. By the way I have a USB device with 1 Gig and did the fat 32 format added the files. I also tried the Rufus to make a bootable USB device but still dont see boot from USB. Any help is appreciated. What I did after prepairing a bootable USB was go to Bios and change secure boot from Enabled to Disabled then choose Launch CSM from Never to Always, then I saved settings rebooted with F12 and the boot screen shows my attached picture.
  • ttttt
    @caseyniam3
    Looks like one Windows Boot Manger is your regular boot, the other one is from the USB flash drive. Try it out !

Oh, what is that CBM ?
  • caseyniam3

Tinkerer

Just noticed my current version Bios is P11-B4. I see the P11-B4L. I assumed this is the updated Bios since the P11-B4 is from 2014 and the P11-B4L is from 2016. However I just read someone saying the P11-B4 in windows and the P11-B4L is for Linux system only and is not an update for the windows version.
  • ttttt
    @caseyniam3
    Yes, those BIOS with the letter "L" at the end is for Linux.
    If you are sure that you will not use Linux, you may want to skip that.
    For people like me who will use Linux will surely apply that BIOS to the PC.
  • caseyniam3

Tinkerer

I will skip, thanks for the help.