My Acer 5 hinges are popping out Please help

Options
Dark_Wolf
Dark_Wolf Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My acer 5 hinges are popping out.  I have bought this laptop less than 2 years ago and it has been popping out for a while.  I have simply popped it back and called it a day I have even used duck tape to keep it together.  However, the situation is gradually getting worse.  The split is happening more frequently and it is spreading.  Right now part of my screen is blacked out due to the backlight being unable to hit the screen.  I don't have a warranty on the laptop. I am just simply wanting to know how to repair or replace it so that I can use my laptop in the normal way without having it look like a mummy and giving me a dark screen in some areas.  Any suggestions would be greatful.

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options
    Dark_Wolf said:
    My acer 5 hinges are popping out.  I have bought this laptop less than 2 years ago and it has been popping out for a while.  I have simply popped it back and called it a day I have even used duck tape to keep it together.  However, the situation is gradually getting worse.  The split is happening more frequently and it is spreading.  Right now part of my screen is blacked out due to the backlight being unable to hit the screen.  I don't have a warranty on the laptop. I am just simply wanting to know how to repair or replace it so that I can use my laptop in the normal way without having it look like a mummy and giving me a dark screen in some areas.  Any suggestions would be greatful.

You have to either replace the top cover case or the bottom case as the mounting point(s) where the screen hinge(s) attach have broken! This is a tedious job and you need to take the top screen cover apart and all its internals and replace it or do the same to the bottom case and replace that which entails taking out the mainboard and all bottom components.

Btw, I speak from experience as this happened to an Acer laptop that I had that the bottom caser hinge mounting points broke, they are flimsy plastic moulded points with metal inserts and they get brittle and break due to the constant opening and closing of the laptop. This is very common on old Acer laptops and many other laptops, there is no other way out as the hinge(s) apply allot of force onto its mounting points to either the top or bottom cases.