Acer Aspire 5750G - Disable lid sensor?

Options
ShaggyMoose
ShaggyMoose Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer 5750G laptop that I want to use as a headless HTPC. However, I have found that there is a hardware control which prevents the machine from powering up when the lid is closed and there doesn't seem to be any BIOS/software fix for this. Apparently there is a hall effect sensor that interacts with a magnet in the bezel to detect when the lid is closed. It seems like I should be able to remove this magnet to avoid triggering the sensor and leaving the laptop in a permanent "open" state. However, is that actually the case? I have seen other threads that suggest when the magnet is missing the machine powers off unpredictably. Has anyone done this successfully and can offer any advice?

Best Answer

• ShaggyMoose
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I managed to remove the magnet and everything seems to work fine. i.e. The machine will resume from suspend while closed. Kudos to Acer for at least making the disassembly straight forward. For anyone else wanting to try the same, there is a useful (but not particularly necessary) video here that shows bezel removal.

The magnet is taped to the bottom left of the bezel frame (just above the power button) and is easily removed.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Normally you only need to go into power options and deal with what to do when the lid closes, setting it to do nothing. Then with the laptop open and Windows running, you close the laptop and Windows keeps right on running. You probably do have to open it to turn it on, but it'll stay on after you close, as long as you have power.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ShaggyMoose
    Options
    The issue isn't about what happens when you close the lid, it is about being able to power the laptop back on again while the lid is still closed. As per the below, it seems this is intended behaviour by Acer, but its very annoying they didn't expose this as a configuration in the BIOS.

• ShaggyMoose
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I managed to remove the magnet and everything seems to work fine. i.e. The machine will resume from suspend while closed. Kudos to Acer for at least making the disassembly straight forward. For anyone else wanting to try the same, there is a useful (but not particularly necessary) video here that shows bezel removal.

The magnet is taped to the bottom left of the bezel frame (just above the power button) and is easily removed.