What and how to upgrade/install m.2 ssd to Acer aspire A515-51-54xm.

Options
Triple3
Triple3 Member Posts: 45

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, i have an acer aspire 5 laptop. I have already upgraded the ram to 20 gb and would like to upgrade my laptop to have an ssd aswell. i realize that there is a m.2 slot but im not sure which one i am supposed to put. Peoplr have told weird things so if you can specify what type of m.2 ssd that would help. Someone also told me that im screwed because of the motherboard i have which i will post to get your response. Lastly, I NEED TO TRANSFER EVERY FILE AND PROGRAM FROM MY HDD TO MY SSD. The purpose of getting the ssd is cus i want to have faster boot times and speed. How can i install the ssd and transfer everything to the ssd?. I still want to use my ssd as a secondary drive or seomthing idk. Please only respond with an in depth answer. I wont be able to fill in the holes and if i get confused then i might accidentally break a component.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options
    You can install either an m.2 2280 SATA3 SSD card or an m.2 2280 nvme card but you must remove the bottom cover as shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgKO25ldUYg   If this machine is still under warranty be careful not to tear any tamper seals that might be taped over screws or between top and bottom covers as this could void your warranty in certain regions. If you break any parts, you will be responsible for paying to replace them.

The nvme card should be a bit faster than the SATA3 card but usually costs a lot more. Get the biggest capacity drive you can afford.

You can easily clone or migrate the existing  hard drive files onto the SSD using any of the freeware disk cloning tools found in this review. https://www.techradar.com/best/best-disk-cloning-software   Many are free. I like MacriumReflect but others are fine. Cloning or migrating  will copy all your files and operating system automatically.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ