Connecting Your Predator Helios 300 (PH317-53) to a Monitor

Options
Dave817
Dave817 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello,

I have the new Predator Helios 300 (PH317-53) with the NVIDIA 2070 Max-Q video card and 144Hz display. I recently purchased a new 24" 165Hz, 1440P, 1ms monitor that came with an HDMI cable, and a DisplayPort cable. Unfortunately, my Helois laptop will only accept a mini display port cable, therefore, I tried the new HDMI cable only to find the male end is larger than the female HDMI receptor in the laptop. I check on the internet and learned that there are five different types and sizes of HDMI ports, as you can see in the first image below.  My laptop has a Mini DisplayPort and a Mini HDMI, but I'm not sure what there bandwidth capabilities (speed) are because the manual does not specify that information. However, I did get this information for model PH317-53 from Acer that might be helpful to you. The Display Output Max Resolution & Refresh rate is...  
  • HDMI 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz  

• Mini DisplayPort 4096 x 2304 @ 60Hz 

Here's the image of the different types of HDMI connectors available. The Predator Helios 300 (PH317-53) has a double dog eared mini HDMI female connector. 

Below is the image from the Helios user manual that incorrectly indicates that we have an HDMI port, which should state that we have a MINI HDMI port.

Before you order your cable, you need to ensure you purchase one that can meet the minimum resolution requirements as illustrated in the image below.

HDMI vs Display Port
So which one is actually better for gaming? Some of that will depend on the hardware you already own or intend to purchase. Both standards are capable of delivering a good gaming experience, but if you want a great gaming experience, right now DisplayPort (DP) version 1.4 is generally better than HDMI 2.0. However, HDMI 2.1 beats DP 1.4, and DisplayPort 2.0 will trump HDMI 2.1. The problem is the Helios user manual does not specify the capability in bandwidth for our mini HDMI or mini DisplayPort connector. However, if the information below that I received from Acer is correct one could conclude two things. First, if the Mini HDMI connector can achieve 4096x2160 @ 60Hz, it should be able to provide at least the 17.60Gbps to support 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Secondly, the Mini DisplayPort can support a slightly higher resolution than the Mini DisplayPort (2304p versus 2160p). 

Display Output Max Resolution & Refresh rate  (Provided by Acer Techs)

• HDMI 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz  

• Mini DisplayPort 4096 x 2304 @ 60Hz 

Mini DisplayPort vs HDMI Bandwidths (Speeds)
Mini DisplayPort (DP) version 1.1 and 1.1a can achieve a max bandwidth of 10.8 Gbps
Mini DP version 1.2 = 21.6 Gbps
HDMI version 2.0 = 18.6 Gbps (A new certification program was introduced in 2015 to certify that HDMI cables work at the 18 Gbit/s maximum bandwidth of the HDMI 2.0 specification. While there's no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable per se, displaying 4K at 50/60Hz will require a High Speed/Category 2 HDMI cable.)
HDMI version 2.1 = 48 Gbps

Your Monitor's Ports
Don't forget to look at the connecting ports on your new monitor.  I have several options on my monitor - Standard HDMI, Mini HDMI, Standard DisplayPort, and Mini DisplayPort. As a result, I'll need to look at the combination that gives me the best resolution for a 165Hz, 1440P image.  As you can see from the image and data above, my desire for a 1440P, 10 color bit, 144Hz display image will require a 17.60 Gbps of bandwidth, which cannot be achieved with Mini DisplayPort 1.1 or 1.1a. Also, since Acer claims this Predator Helios 300 (PH317-53) laptop's Mini DisplayPort can support 2304P, verses the Mini HDMI supporting 2160P, I'll start with a high-quality Mini DisplayPort cable to attach to my new 24" monitor. I found a 6" Mini DisplayPort cable with great reviews that can support 2K@165Hz for $12.99 online. 

Have a great day,

The secret to surviving in gaming is to kill them before they can kill you!

Answers

• MAGMAX
    MAGMAX Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Great information, Thank you so much waiting for my LG 144Hz external monitor to arrive.