acer predator helios 300 (PH315-52) Custom Water cooled loop

Ottoman90
Ottoman90 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited September 2020 in Predator Laptops
hey guys im new to the forum and just wanted to share some of my work that im doing on my helios i have the i7 + 1660ti combo on my helios and im am not happy about the temps idling at 60c is not normal for me and hitting 95c to 98c in game is a big no no so im watercooling it with a custom 4mm loop that will run to the back of the casing and have seperate plaque that will hold the pump rad and tank i have already ordered the parts and have done a similar mod on a old acer the temps went from 90 to 45 instantly i will keep the post updated with pics and video links if possible 

parts being used red copper 4mmX200mm loop 80mm, radiator with arctic f8 fan, cheap ebay 12v 0.8a 10w pump, 200ml tank, 4mm to g1/4 adapter

the last imaged posted is just showing how the loop solders to the actual heatsink so you have an idea of how it works lucky for the helios it wont be as messy and everything fits just need 2 holes on back of the case

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,630 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020

WOW THAT IS GREAT :) that is pretty impressive and an incredibly neat setup, well done Ottoman90 very impressive, please show us the final finished product and pics as I’m really interested and want to do the same for my Helios 300 also. Great work maybe Acer should adopt a future laptop with water cooling as these gaming laptop rigs are being pushed to the limit of what air cooling can handle!   

• Ottoman90

Tinkerer

edited September 2020
    @StevenGen coming from a i7 2080 desktop im quite happy with the laptop its just the temps are a concern cause it throttles now and then and acer already undervolted it to combat the issue i will hit 80c with turbo on but you cant even hear your inner voice with this enabled lol but with this mod i should be able to remove the undervolt and solve the throttling and hit max 60c on prime95 my 5920G was running at 42/46 cpu/gpu on benchmarks and thats crazy low for that laptop 
  • Ottoman90 said:
    @StevenGen coming from a i7 2080 desktop im quite happy with the laptop its just the temps are a concern cause it throttles now and then and acer already undervolted it to combat the issue i will hit 80c with turbo on but you cant even hear your inner voice with this enabled lol but with this mod i should be able to remove the undervolt and solve the throttling and hit max 60c on prime95 my 5920G was running at 42/46 cpu/gpu on benchmarks and thats crazy low for that laptop 

Yep fully agree, these laptops are just getting too powerful for a small restrictive laptop case, they need water cooling, all this turbo boost on cpu and restrictive enclosures are going to the limit. I know all this as I’ve also got a V3-571G that use to overheat to a level that its just turned off, I’ve moded the copper heatsink for the cpu/gpu with extra copper tubing and case venting so I know the problems. Keep us informed as I’m very interested in your final result and solution as I’ve been meaning to do one of these for ages but it seemed too much of a hassel and as I’ve got a desktop with water cooling so I just didn’t bother.

• Ottoman90

Tinkerer

quick update on some parts also a screenshot from youtube showing the coolant i will be using trying to keep colours matching  :p very close to starting the mod waiting on the main ingredient the pipe
  • Ottoman90

Tinkerer

@StevenGen hi bud some parts have been delayed so im just bending the pipe to the shape of the heatsink i tried putting the outlets on the cpu side but was very awkward getting the bend so im putting on the gpu side i would of soldered it today but the solder paste is one the things im waiting for this is also the plaque i think im gonna swap it for a 7"x7" this is a 6" and need abit nore space for enclosure 
  • Ottoman90

Tinkerer

just needs to be soldered and dremel a tiny piece off the bottom casing doesnt need to be alot 
  • That looks great keep us posted as I’ve made a list of what you have used and doing, great work!

• Ottoman90

Tinkerer

Ok guys some things didnt go to plan but f**k me 35 degrees on idle
  • Ottoman90

Tinkerer

@StevenGen i messed up the actual heatsink heatgun was too hot it ended up falling to pieces loool so i soldered them direct im shocked
  • Ottoman90

Tinkerer

mad
  • Ottoman90

Tinkerer

Finished stand
  • StevenGen

Great work and effort there Ottoman90 there is allot of ‘trial an errors’ involved with doing a setup like this, don’t worry! Btw and just a thought, I saw a setup where the heatsink was integrated as part of the water pipes and sealed off and jackets were put externally so that the pump and water cooling setup could be attached whenever the laptop was booted. I’ve looked on the web for a photo but I can’t find it. Keep the good wok up!

• Ottoman90

Tinkerer

@StevenGen im gonna use it like this until another heatsink arrives i just had it held on heat longer than i should have still even with all the heatpipes missing still runs way cooler than stock so i can imagen it only being cooler also the setup you was talking about was it an acer that was full of copper everywhere
  • Ottoman90

Tinkerer

The quick release connectors keeps it mobile still
  • StevenGen
    Ottoman90 said:
    @StevenGen im gonna use it like this until another heatsink arrives i just had it held on heat longer than i should have still even with all the heatpipes missing still runs way cooler than stock so i can imagen it only being cooler also the setup you was talking about was it an acer that was full of copper everywhere

It used the plumbing from the heatsink with minimal extra plumbing and/or adding any extra pipes for the water jackets for the cpu/gpu, it seals the existing heatsink pipes to be waterproof and so that water an pass through them. I just can’t find a photo for you but it was pretty neat. As to cool a laptop you only need a minor passage of water that will reduces the temps considerably.

• Ottoman90

Tinkerer

@StevenGen i seen 2 designs like that i just ordered a replacement heatsink gona do it by soldering iron this time
  • Jvrc
    Jvrc Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ottoman90 said:
    @StevenGen i seen 2 designs like that i just ordered a replacement heatsink gona do it by soldering iron this time
    Any updates? Have you managed to got it working?
  • Ottoman90

Tinkerer

@Jvrc im just using it like this for now waiting for the heatsink to arrive from sweden temps are still very cool but i know it will be cooler i would like to constantly be on extreme mode 
  • morase3
    morase3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    The fine issue to do could be to leave it in a dry, sunny area for twenty-four-48 hrs untouched. 6-7 hrs isn't always lengthy sufficient to evaporate the water except it become a totally small quantity. At the factor it is not dripping or leaking waterhelp, you need to be capable of practice an outside fan to help with the evaporation manner.
  • Xesty_Boi
    Xesty_Boi Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2021
    Ottoman90 said:
    Finished stand
    Hey @Ottoman90 I plan on doing something similar in the summer for my acer predator helios 300, can you please give me a summary on how you wired everything and what components you used. It would be helpful