Aspire 5742G totally dead

kartsa
kartsa Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My friend´s 5742 had not been in use for some time, battery empty. Now it does not start charging, no lights come on and pressing power button has no effect. Charger is OK, and this laptop has been totally ok earlier. Battery should be also OK, removing battery and then plugging in has no effect also. Pressing power button for 2 minutes (without battery/charger) has not helped. Memory modules contacts have been cleaned. Charging connector is also Ok, and no external damages have occured.

What can be the reason for this and what should I try next?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    My friend´s 5742 had not been in use for some time, battery empty. >>>Battery should be also OK>>>

If a battery is allowed to drop below a critical charge level it may not be recoverable and develop a permanent high internal resistance which won't take charge. Try this. Remove the charger and re-seat the battery a dozen or so times to help clean its contacts with the mainboard. Then plug the charger back in and allow it to sit overnight even if the charger light doesn't come on.  If the light still isn't on then the battery likely needs to be replaced. About $20usd. However, before ordering a battery use a multimeter to measure the voltage between the charger's plug outer ring and center contact. Should be about 19volts dc. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kartsa
    As I said charger is OK as is charger contact in laptop. All contacts have been cleaned as I already said. There is no change if battery is in place or removed
  • JackE
    How do you know that the charger is OK? How do you know the battery is OK? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kartsa
    Charger works fine with my Ferrari 4005, I also checked voltage/current and they were OK. And all contacts are gold plated so they can not be oxidized

I have been computer user since mid-80's but now I really confused with this one.
  • JackE
    Battery voltage means nothing. How old is the battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kartsa
    Battery has been stored, removed, as UG says : "If the computer is to be stored for more than two weeks, you are advised to remove the battery pack from the unit." Now batter is nearly empty.
  • JackE
    Batteries have shelf lifes even if not used and stored. Usually lose almost all capacity in less than 8 years. How old is the battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kartsa
    The question is: Is battery needed for starting/using this model? And the loss of capacity is not just age depended, but charging times. So if battery capacity is reduced, laptop connected to charger, should laptop start charging/start?
  • JackE
    Many models of that vintage will start without the battery installed but some don't. The specsheets don't indicated which do and which don't. New batteries for the 5742G are less than $20usd. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kartsa
    Well... here in FInland batteries for this model cost 50 ... 65€
  • kartsa
    After several years working with mobile phones I never use anything but original lion-batteries, due to severe lack of safety. Btw, cell explode quite nicely if overcharged....
  • JackE
    Then post a screenshot of the label on the original battery in the laptop. Then we'll see what we can find. ACER is not a original battery manufacturer and uses batteries from many different manufacturers. The ACER part nos are shown. Even those can be made by still other manufacturers with different OEM labels affixed. That is the reality of the current worldwide battery business whether in laptops or any other devices that depend on them . Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ