Screen flickering and ripple effect on the Predator Helios 300 PH315-52

Options
Megwen
Megwen Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi all,

I bought a Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 at the end of December last year and it's been mostly perfect, except...
There's something up with the screen. It's quite hard to describe, so bear with me...
It seems to change the brightness, but not in the normal way where maybe you switch from a dark image to a Word document or something. It happens on the same page sometimes, and it's really subtle, like a faint flickering. At first I thought it was my eyes going weird, but it's definitely not.
I've noticed it in particular when using Spotify in windowed mode. The black right 'Find Friends' panel, when I bring it up on screen, seems to have little black and grey lines that go up and down, changing in brightness in a sort of 'ripple' effect, until it settles down and stops moving. The lines don't occur in Word documents, but the screen seems to be really subtly changing colour/brightness. I've now also noticed the screen turning black for a split second, and then continuing like nothing happened, or strange black rectangles appear for a moment, like blacked-out app windows, and then they completely disappear. It's completely unpredictable.
I've played around with the power saving options and made sure my drivers are up to date as per Windows.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a faulty connection or the drivers?

Any idea of what to do?

Help much appreciated - I adore this laptop and want it healthy again!

Answers

• SajalSinha
    SajalSinha Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have a 144hz display and even I noticed the  EXACT same problem one day when taking a screenshot, and it is easily visible now that I look close enough. 
    There are black lines constantly flickering and it takes time for it to settle down and stop which indicates some issue with the display. 
    Take for example while taking a screenshot of a bright image, it is more clearer to make out the difference.

• ethanhunt
    ethanhunt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I am also experiencing somewhat the same things. The only heavy software that I use is Google Chrome and colab and jupyter notebooks. The screen dims suddenly and then starts flickering. 
    Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.