Acer spin 5 and compatible Wacom stylus? - Acer Spin 5 sp513-54n

Monchingbamboo
Monchingbamboo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2020 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi,

I have the Acer Spin 5 sp513-54n and it came with a stylus but it's very thin. When I draw for long periods of time my hand feels uncomfortable holding such a thin stylus so I'm hoping to find a compatible Wacom stylus as a replacement. Does anyone know which Wacom stylus(es) is/are compatible with the Spin 5 sp513-54n?

Thank you. 

Answers

• Nazareth434
    Nazareth434 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I also would like to know which styluses will work with this 2-1- I can't believe it's so hard tro find out any information regarding which styluses will work with this 2-1 convertible- I emailed the India Acer site- they said the active stylus will work (the larger active stylus), but I think they mighta misunderstood what i asked- I'd have to take a $50+ gamble to find out if it will specifically work with this 2-1 convertible or not- Shame Acer doesn't have email support in the US- I 'chatted' with a US support person- but they didn't know which styluses will work with this computer 2-1- The site's 'compatibility page' is confusing- says a 'wacom pen with some part number will work, but i type the part number into google search, it doesn't come up with a specific pen? There is no model name for the pens, or anything-  Why is this so hard to find out what pens will work?
  • Monchingbamboo
    I also would like to know which styluses will work with this 2-1- I can't believe it's so hard tro find out any information regarding which styluses will work with this 2-1 convertible- I emailed the India Acer site- they said the active stylus will work (the larger active stylus), but I think they mighta misunderstood what i asked- I'd have to take a $50+ gamble to find out if it will specifically work with this 2-1 convertible or not- Shame Acer doesn't have email support in the US- I 'chatted' with a US support person- but they didn't know which styluses will work with this computer 2-1- The site's 'compatibility page' is confusing- says a 'wacom pen with some part number will work, but i type the part number into google search, it doesn't come up with a specific pen? There is no model name for the pens, or anything-  Why is this so hard to find out what pens will work?
    I spoke to Acer support too and they said they only know the part number but don't have information on which Wacom pen contains that particular part since that's information only Wacom would have. I emailed Wacom support to ask but they didn't even reply.

I ended up purchasing a Wacom Bamboo Ink stylus to try and it works. I think the Wacom Bamboo Ink Plus will also work too, although that one's more expensive.
  • Nazareth434

Tinkerer

Hello thank you for your comment- The bamboo pens i understand will work, but not very well- I need a pen for precise drawing and painting- the bamboo pens have a bad issue with line wobble when drawing diagonal lines slowly, which is a critical task when painting and drawing- I have gotten all kinds of answers on the net from 'A surface pro pen will work' to 'Any active pen will work' but there are several kinds of active pens- and not all will work- and the surface pro pen has a different technology in it than Acer uses- it uses NTRIG- or MPP- Acer pens do not- The bamboo pen uses both- but the technology is not that great for precise work-

I wish i had known this was going to be an issue before i bought this spin 5 2-1, i would have looked elsewhere- This is aggravating, and really ruins the whole drawing experience for me which was the primary reason i bought this 2-1- Anyone have a surface pro they wanna trade? lol
  • Monchingbamboo
    edited November 2020
    Hello thank you for your comment- The bamboo pens i understand will work, but not very well- I need a pen for precise drawing and painting- the bamboo pens have a bad issue with line wobble when drawing diagonal lines slowly, which is a critical task when painting and drawing- I have gotten all kinds of answers on the net from 'A surface pro pen will work' to 'Any active pen will work' but there are several kinds of active pens- and not all will work- and the surface pro pen has a different technology in it than Acer uses- it uses NTRIG- or MPP- Acer pens do not- The bamboo pen uses both- but the technology is not that great for precise work-

I wish i had known this was going to be an issue before i bought this spin 5 2-1, i would have looked elsewhere- This is aggravating, and really ruins the whole drawing experience for me which was the primary reason i bought this 2-1- Anyone have a surface pro they wanna trade? lol
    That might be more down to the program you're using and not the stylus. I use Photoshop and Clip Studio for drawing digitally, to make sure my lines don't wobble I use the softwares' own built-in stabilization function plus an additional software called Lazinezumi that was developed specifically to draw smooth lines. My previous laptop was Surface pro and it was the same. Without some form of line stabilization software your lines will wobble regardless of stylus.

I'll include an example of my drawing showing just the lineart:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    That looks great! :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nazareth434

Tinkerer

edited November 2020
    Cool looking drawing- like it- With my art- i can't really use line smoothing, as i need precise lines like on a curve or jagged line curving around an object or whatever- the line smoothing would alter my line too much- if i were drawing just straight lines, it would be great, but not so much for other drawing- I have it on in one program, and it's always trying to 'correct' my line for me when i don't want it to

I called Acer tonight, and once again, noone had any answer for me- they just kept referring me to the site which shows the 'compatibility chart' which shows just one pen- the small thin pen that comes with the notebook- as being compatible- and they don't have it for sale on their website- so when the pen wears out, gets broken, or gets lost- there's no option to buy a replacement- no nibs to buy

I explained that every other brand 2-1 convertible laptop manufacturer sells pens on their websites, and you can but any number of alternative pens as well- The person i spoke with said "I completely understand- however, we have a contract with wacom for the pen... blah blah blah" In otherwords they have no intention of even selling the pen on their website- apparently-

I said "Thank you very much but because of this one issue- I will be sending my laptop back to Amazon and will be buying a microsoft surface, or galaxy flex book instead- where i can buy any number of pens to suit my drawing needs, and can easily buy replacement nibs whenever i like-

They replied "We completely understand, blah blah blah" in otherwords- they said 'whatever'

Uggg- wish i had known the pen issue was gonna be a huge deal before i had bought this- I'm past the 30 days- so there's gonna be a restocking fee to return it I'm sure- Yippee
  • billsey
    So the description for Acer's stylus contains "ESP-110-43B-6 AES", which leads me to believe that the digitizer uses Wacom's AES technology. It might be worth trying another AES stylus before sending this one back. I expect there are several options for those styluses...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nazareth434

Tinkerer

Thanks, but i decided to send it back- I ordered a S7 Tablet for now for drawing, and will get a Galaxy book flex, or the surface pro next year- I decided on the S7 Tablet for this year, because the two laptop 2-1's that i mentioned don't quite have the ports i want this year- The Acer had the ports i wanted, but I just didn't want to gamble with trying out different pens hoping they would work- I had thought about trying the Acer AES pen, but looking at the compatibility chart, it didn't indicate that it would- Anyways- if i go with hte galaxy book flex next year, i know the S7 pen will work with it- The S7 Tab will get me through til next year for basic painting and drawing, then i can transfer over to my desktop to finish in full programs liek Artrage, Rebelle and what not

I really wanted to like the acer- and did except for the pen issue- Seems a few folks i nthe forums have run into the same issue- I wish Acer would update their compatibility chart after havign tried out different styluses on various machines- so that it won't be as confusing- I also noted though that they aren't even making the Acer Spin 5-13 2-1 convertible anymore- I didn't even realize that when i purchased it off Amazon- so i might have been stuck if the computer conked out and needed replacing/repair-

Well, if they fix the pen issue- offer larger styluses, and actually sell them on the website, and sell nib replacements etc- I'll check out Acer next year before deciding which 2-1 to get for painting
  • billsey
    I see eight different Spin 513 models still on the Acer website, all the Spin models are 2 in 1...
  • Slakey
    Slakey Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    I've been going through SP513-54N-74V2 stylus replacement nibs and compatibility questions with Acer for months now. No resolution and no way to return the laptop at this time. I've purchased and returned half a dozen tip sets and one supposedly compatible stylus, but nothing fit or worked. The compatibility chart is useless. Can anyone confirm that the 2nd generation Bamboo Ink, Ink Plus, or any other available full-size stylus works for drawing with a US-market SP513-54N-74V2? Thanks. 
  • billsey
    According to the Stylus Compatibility chart, the SP513-54N uses a Wacom AES 1.0 compatible stylus, though only the one that shipped with your system (Acer part number: NC.23811.07H) fits in the holder. You should be able to use any stylus that is AES 1.0, with the caveat that it won't fit in the holder.
  • Batamtig
    Batamtig Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have tried a variety of pens with my SP513-54N. Bamboo Ink seems to work well.  Bamboo Ink Plus not so well (due to the fact that it features "tilt", which is not supported by the Spin 5.  I like the Bamboo Ink and I'm keeping it. To make things even better, I switched the Bamboo Ink's nib with that of the pen which came with the laptop, it has a "draggy" feel, making it feel more like physical drawing and writing.
  • Slakey
    Slakey Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

Well, if they fix the pen issue- offer larger styluses, and actually sell them on the website, and sell nib replacements etc- I'll check out Acer next year before deciding which 2-1 to get for painting
    Amen! Seriously Acer. Why make a product that people buy because it has an active stylus but then offer absolutely ZERO stylus support, parts, or an optional upgraded full-size stylus to take advantage of the functionality? Makes no sense. 
  • temporary2020
    temporary2020 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Batamtig said:
     Bamboo Ink Plus not so well (due to the fact that it features "tilt", which is not supported by the Spin 5.
    Are you sure? I tried Ink Plus on Spin 5 before buying the laptop and I remember that the tilt was working for me.
  • Batamtig
    Batamtig Member Posts: 3 New User
    Batamtig said:
     Bamboo Ink Plus not so well (due to the fact that it features "tilt", which is not supported by the Spin 5.
    Are you sure? I tried Ink Plus on Spin 5 before buying the laptop and I remember that the tilt was working for me.
    Yes I'm sure, according to Wacom's list of compatible devices, it doesn't support tilt:

... and that is also my experience.