Do I need to update the BIOS on my TC-885 with R01-C0 BIOS? solution

Options
System
System Member Posts: 4,518 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
This discussion was created from comments split from: Do I need to update the BIOS on my TC-885 with R01-C0 BIOS?.

Answers

• ALF_Tanner
    ALF_Tanner Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I have updated many BIOS's on many computers, and I have never had a problem.  Just make sure your power is stable.  I am not sure why some people are so scared to update the BIOS.  To update my Acer TC-885 BIOS, I unzipped the BIOS file, went into the UCP folder, and ran the "RO1-C3.exe" file.  Windows may not like the file, so you may need to click something like "more" or "options" to allow the file to run.  It looked like 3 files were updated, and then the computer booted 3-4 times before finally booting up to Windows.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    We, too often, hear about it when someone doesn't quite follow the right procedure and ends up with it half done and no good recovery. That's why we typically don't recommend doing it unless they're experiencing an issue that version addresses. I've done many, many updates without issues myself, but then I'm not the typical user either...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Gantry
    Gantry Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    My Acer is not reading the extra memory card that I added.  Crucial, told me I need to update the memory.  I have downloaded the latest Zip file for the Bios for my TC 885 with Windows 10.0.19041.
    Questions:
    1. I currently have R01-A2, can I go right to R01-C2 and skip B3, B4, C0 etc?
    2. There are several folders in the extracted zip folder, which one do I click on to install?  UCP, WIN, ROM, or EFI?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Gantry,

Did I comment to you on this topic before? If not, just comment here again.

Crucial told you to update memory or BIOS
    ?

1) For my TC-885-UA91, the latest BIOS is R01-C3 (don't know your sub-model number, maybe it is different for yours). You can go      straight to the latest version. If you feel uncomfortable for that you can do it one by one, since it is easy to do.
    2) After unzipping the folder, you should be able to see an "Appendix" folder listing three methods to flash the BIOS.
        I like the Windows 10 method, as it is easiest, just a few clicks away. Be sure to follow the instructions step-by-step.
        It will involve clicking an EXE file in the UCP folder. After a few reboots, you are all set.

Note: Since the TC-885 has a SD card reader build-in, why do you need to add another card reader
    ?
             If it is for a micro SD card, you can put the micro SD card in a regular SD card size adapter and put it into the SD card       reader.
             The micro SD card can be inserted to a USB flash drive size adapter and use it like a regular USB flash drive too.