(URGENT) 100% Disk Usage Problem on my Acer Nitro 5 (2018 Model)

Options
Maevinarsh
Maevinarsh Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello there. So I have been using my Acer Nitro 5 (2018 NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 4GB version) for around 2 years. So this laptop was working very well for the first few days since I bought it. My gaming experience in this laptop is superb. But few days later, I felt that the laptop started taking too long to boot (I see 5 mins of black screen), and after reaching the desktop just after that bootup, the laptop becomes completely unusable for 5 minutes (due to 100% disk usage). (I have a 1TB HDD, and I dont have any additional drives/SSD)
So then, I sent my laptop to the Acer service center (since I had warranty). They replaced the disk, added more RAM (from 4GB to 12GB), and reinstalled Windows. But nothing really changed. Still the same slow laptop.
So I tried fixing things myself. I reinstalled windows, wiped the drive, downloaded and install every single Windows Update at "Check for Updates", updated every single driver. And things did improve.
- Bootup took 30 seconds (but common, thats still slow for a i5 8th Gen Processor)
- No more 100% disk usage problem after startup
- BUT, 100% disk usage appears AFTER 10 MINUTES after I bootup (comparing to earlier: this 100% disk usage happens just after bootup)

So as a fix, these were the things I did:

1) Error-checking in Properties of C Drive in "This PC" --- NO ERROR
2) CMD (administrator) chkdsk /f c: --- NO ERROR
3) Increase Virtual Memory (This PC > Properties > Adv. Sys. Settings > Performance > Settings > Advance > Virtual memory > Change to 18000)
4) Disable all startups (Task Manager)
5) Disable Windows Defender
- go to regedit (administrator)
- hkey local machine > software > policies > microsoft > windows defender > Create new file > 32 bit DWORD > Name as "DisableAntiSpyware" > Value "1"
- restart
6) Disable services (services.msc):

- Windows Defender & Firewall Service
- Windows Mobile Hotspot Service
- Print Spooler
- Fax
- Remote Desktop Configuration
- Remote Desktop Services
- Windows Insider Service
- Secondary Logon
- Downloaded Maps Manager
- Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service
- Offline Files
- Windows Connect Now
- Remote Registry
- Application Layer Gateway Service
- Smart Card
- Windows Image Acquisition
- Security Center
- Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
- Retail Demo Service
- Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
- AllJoyn Router Service
- Geolocation Service
- Windows Biometric Service
- Program Compatibility Assistant Service
- Enterprise App Management Service
- Bitlocker Drive Encryption Service
- Computer Browser
- Diagnostic Policy Service
- Diagnostic Tracking Service
- Distributed Link Tracking Client
- File History Service
- IP Helper
- Infrared monitor service
- Internet Connection Sharing
- Netlogon
- Parental Control
- Remote Registry
- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
- Windows Error Reporting Service
- Xbox Live Game Save
- Xbox Live Auth Manager
- Phone Service
- Windows Mobile Hotspot Service
- Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service
- Skype Updater
- Hyper-V Heartbeat Service
- Auto Time Zone Update
- Bluetooth Handsfree Service
- Windows Search
- Windows Update (Only After Updating All Drivers/Updates/Windows)

7) Uninstall bloatwares
8) Update drivers
9) Update Windows from "Check for Updates"

Things did improve. Bootup took LESS THAN 2 Seconds. It was perfect. Until I realised that the 100% Disk Usage problem is still there.
So I did read some forums and watch some tutorials. Many of them blamed the Superfetch ("Sysmain") service as the cause of the 100% Disk Usage problem.
I couldn't agree more. While the 100% Disk Usage issue was going on, I tried ending the "Sysmain" task from Task Manager. Disk Usage then went to 0%.
Things do sound like I finally found a solution. Unfortunately, no.
I experimented and realised one thing.
- Whenever the Superfetch/Sysmain service is set to "Automatic" at services.msc, I experience superfast bootup (less than 3 secs), but 100% disk usage (for 2-3 mins) after 5 minutes after bootup.
- Whenever the Superfetch/Sysmain service is set to "Disabled", bootup takes 30 seconds, but Disk Usage is reduced very well.

But I need fast bootup and no 100% disk usage. This is only happening to my laptop. Common! Its a gaming laptop. Not somekinda old thrashy little *****. i5 Processor, 12 GB of RAM... for this?

I really need some help before I thrash this thing! I spent quite a money for this.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you provide the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz. In addition, try performing these procedures as well:
    a) check the health of the disk with the crystaldiskmark program;
    b) perform a disk cleaning as an administrator:
    Running Disk Cleanup Tool in Command Line in Windows 10 - Next of Windows
    c) press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to services, hide microsoft services and disable all services.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Maevinarsh

Tinkerer

Options
    Can you provide the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz. In addition, try performing these procedures as well:
    c) press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to services, hide microsoft services and disable all services.
    Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-50WX (2018)

I will do as what you said, and Ill get back to you as fast as possible!
  • Maevinarsh

Tinkerer

Options
    Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-50WX (2018)

I will do as what you said, and Ill get back to you as fast as possible!
    1) I checked the health of the disk with crystaldiskmark program. Everything looks fine there (I have attached a screenshot of the results)
    2) I performed a disk cleaning. Everything done. Nothing really changed tho.
    3) Hided all microsoft services and disabled everything in MSCONFIG.
    - The startup takes only 3 seconds
    - Disk Usage problem fixed. (but i experince 100% disk usage problem only at the startup, but only for less than 20 seconds, so I dont really mind)

Things sound like everything has been fixed but to be honest, is this the end? I doubt this because I disabled all the services and I dont know if I should move on using my laptop as normal. Is any of these services necessary for normal usage/gaming?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ok my friend.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Maevinarsh

Tinkerer

Options
    1) Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-50WX (2018)
    2) Checked the health of disk with crystaldiskmark program:
    3) Performed all the disk cleaning as administrator from "MY PC"
    4) Went to msconfig, Hided all Microsoft services. Disabled everything, just like you requested me to do.

The results:
    1) The bootup became faster (2-3 seconds)
    2) 100% Disk Usage for the first 20 seconds after bootup.
    3) 100% Disk Usage problem after 5 minutes after bootup. The 100% Disk Usage lasted for around 30 seconds (average). Then everything back to normal.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Then there is a program or service causing the disk problem to be 100%.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TTTTTTT
    TTTTTTT Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    i had the same problem a while back, i updated all my drivers and for some reason it got fixed
  • Maevinarsh

Tinkerer

Options
    Well to be honest, I'm pretty sure "100% Disk Usage problem after 5 minutes after bootup" was definitely due to the Superfetch service, and I am pretty sure about this.
    You see, the problem is:
    When I disable Superfetch, Startup becomes slow but 100% disk usage becomes fixed
    When I enable Superfetch, startup becomes superfast but 100% disk usage problem appears to be there.

And I have absolutely no programs installed in this device as I just resetted it.
    I really need some help please. I'm really confused and stressed out right now.

Are there any different methods, to maintain a fast bootup but no 100% disk usage? any regedit stuffs? Or replacing the "svchost.exe" or the "sysmain.dll"?

Just to take note:
    - All my drivers are updated
    - Latest Windows Updates are installed from "Check for Updates"
    - Disk has no errors/problems
    - I did not download any program/app
    - Superfetch service is currently set to automatic (which causes fast bootup & 100% disk usage)
    - Bloatwares were uninstalled
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I would try to activate the services individually until I find the service that causes the problem, using msconfig.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer