Disable keyboard hotkey

tants
tants Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I am using the XC-885, and the wireless keyboard that comes with the system.
     1) How can I turn off the hotkeys (shortcut keys) and use the function keys as it is? I have been hunting high and low but no feasible solution.
     2) Do I need to install any firmware updates for the system? How do I know which version to install?

Regards.

Answers

• Sam31
    Sam31 Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    https://youtu.be/Ey4kyFbxQk0
    see this. This is not my video
  • tants
    Thanks. But when I right-clicked on the desktop, there isn't any graphics option.

Plus, The hot keys that I am referring are originally the function keys. They have been superseded by those sleep button, home button etc. Thus, I hope set the function keys as default.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    There are a lot of people looking for that, but there are no good solutions I've seen yet without a BIOS toggle or a different keyboard.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tants
    Unfortunately, there is no such option in the bios.

I will try with FN + Caps Lock when I get the keyboard. The keyboard is not with me now.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hey guys,

Try this.

Start-->Intel Graphic Control Panel -->Hot Key Manager
    Right Hand Side: Manage Hot Keys, Select Disable

This is for Onboard Graphics.

• billsey
    I believe that only affects hotkeys in the IGCP, not the actual keyboard.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt

Then how about this:

https://www.top-password.com/blog/disable-windows-key-shortcuts-hotkeys

Method3: Disable Windows Key Completely

This method allows you to completely disable the Windows logo key for all users in Windows 10, 8, 8.1 and Windows 7. Follow these steps to disable Windows key virtually:

1. Type regedit in the Search or Run box and press Enter. It will open Registry Editor.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout. In the right-side pane, right-click on the empty space and select New -> Binary Value.

new-binary-value

3. Rename the newly created entry as Scancode Map. Right-click on Scancode Map and click Modify. Type in the following value as the value data manually (copying and pasting will not work), then click OK.

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
      03 00 00 00 00 00 5B E0
      00 00 5C E0 00 00 00 00

disable-windows-key

4. Close Registry Editor and restart the computer. When you boot back into Windows 10, press the Windows key and nothing will happen. If you want to re-enable the Windows logo key, open the Registry Editor again and delete the Scancode Map entry.

I have tried the first two method, didn't work for me.
  • ttttt
    WARNING:

This can be risky.

So, people, be careful!
  • billsey
    That again doesn't have anything to do with the keyboard hotkeys. The keyboard scan value are after the media functions...
  • tants
    edited September 2020
    Thanks to all who have responded to my question.

I managed to revert back the original function keys by pressing "FN"+"ESC". Perhaps I have pressed the wrong buttons (Windows + ESC) previously.

Anyway, this keyboard is too compact and I tend to press the wrong keys easily. So, I am thinking of changing the keyboard.