KA272U Monitor doesn't turn on after being turned off by Mac

interconnect
interconnect Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I recently purchased a KA272U and have my Mac set to turn it off after 20 minutes.  Sometimes when I return to the computer the monitor will not turn back on.  The light in the lower right-hand corner is amber and would normally change to blue when it turns on.  No matter what I do I cannot get it to turn on, unless I pull the power cord and plug it back in; then it turn on and displays correctly.  It is connected to a 2012 Mac mini via Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable and is running at 2560x1440 resolution.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• mmillicurie999
    mmillicurie999 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I have the exact problem. Same monitor, same Mac Mini 2012, DP 2560x1440.  I would also like to know what's going on and if there is any fix. I want to add that once it's gone dark, nothing I could do to turn it back on without unplugging the power cord.  When the monitor goes into "undead" mode, none of the physical buttons on the monitor would respond either. Not your typical input not detected situation. Absolutely unhappy about this. This is my first Acer monitor, I am thinking of returning this and get something else.
  • interconnect

Tinkerer

I don’t think that it’s actually the monitor. I suspect it is an issue with the Mac mini’s Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort. Check out this thread:

I never had a single issue with my 1080p monitor; it was was when I got the new monitor and also changed from the HDMI port to the Mini DisplayPort. 
  • mmillicurie999

Tinkerer

I don’t think that it’s actually the monitor. I suspect it is an issue with the Mac mini’s Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort. Check out this thread:

I never had a single issue with my 1080p monitor; it was was when I got the new monitor and also changed from the HDMI port to the Mini DisplayPort. 
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing the link. But does it explain why none of the physical button on the Acer respond?  I can't switch input or even power on manually. The monitor simply remains dead/zombie. I even unplug DP cable, then plug in HDMI from my PC laptop, still nothing.  I will try putting the Mac Mini to "display never sleep" and see what happens.  
  • interconnect

Tinkerer

Interesting, I have not tried that. I was always just pulling the power cable. I did try pulling the DP cable and that did not get it to respond either. Maybe we’ll have to call Acer Support. 
  • mmillicurie999

Tinkerer

I will continue to experiment and share my findings here. 
  • jowilhnson
    jowilhnson Member Posts: 1 New User
    Well, I just got the same monitor, and have this exact same problem, but it's connected to a Windows 10 system via DisplayPort. 
    Same deal, doesn't wake from sleep, can't just turn it off and back on, buttons totally unresponsive, have to pull the plug. So, maybe something to do with DisplayPort connection and standy on this monitor?
  • mmillicurie999

Tinkerer

From what I've read, there has been a know issue with Mac and DP port. BUT I haven't come across a situation where the monitor itself became completely unresponsive, like this particular model of Asus is exhibiting. Now I am wondering if the KA272U has additional issue that goes beyond Mac handshake. Somehow, once the monitor got stuck with a "bad" DP signal, it froze to the point where one would have to unplug the power to get it back to life.

Maybe if you post a separate thread, you will get more Window user to chime in? Does Asus has a dud in its lineup? 
  • Taioron
    Taioron Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have this exact same issue, Windows 10 / DisplayPort. There's definitely something about the monitor.
  • mmillicurie999

Tinkerer

I got an authorization to send it in for repair. Not sure if this will change anything for you but worth a shot. FWIW, when I did the online chat/support, I insisted that the power cord pull reset is not a viable long term solution. Eventually, the tech support person relented and issued the repair authorization.
  • mmillicurie999

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Oh, and guess what? I bought a Dell S2721D, tested it now for a week. Absolutely no problem with Mac Mini MiniDP to monitor DP, running at 2560 resolution. No sleep/wake handshake issue whatsoever. Turns out there is nothing wrong with my setup. It's ACER.  
  • interconnect

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Thanks for the info! I’m going to return mine and get the Dell one you mentioned. 
  • mmillicurie999

Tinkerer

FYI, I am using a VESA certified miniDP to DP cable for the HP. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but since I already bought it to troubleshoot the Acer, I am keeping it for the Dell, just in case.  The same cable absolutely DID NOT help the Acer though. So Acer is till to blame for our problems, as far as I am concerned.
  • interconnect

Tinkerer

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Not sure if mine is VESA certified. I’m about to go check though!

I actually called Newegg support and was able to get them to make an exception to return even though I’m just two weeks passed the return date. I’m just going to return it and get the Dell you mentioned. This thing has been so frustrating; it’ll be great to be done with it!

• Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Hi @interconnect,

I would suggest you to try with a certified VESA 1.4 DP cable and share the result here.

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel 
  • interconnect

Tinkerer

Hi @interconnect,

I would suggest you to try with a certified VESA 1.4 DP cable and share the result here.

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel 
    I tried many different cables, including VESA certified ones and it did not make a difference. The problem is the monitor, not the cable. The problem is the monitor won’t even turn on, even by its own buttons, so to me that really has nothing to do with the cable anyways. 
  • Dethas
    Dethas Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi @interconnect,

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel 

Having the same issue as reported. I have tried a non VESA certified 1.4 DP and a VESA certified 1.4 DP. Both experience the same issues.
  • mmillicurie999

Tinkerer

Dethas said:
    Hi @interconnect,

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel 

Having the same issue as reported. I have tried a non VESA certified 1.4 DP and a VESA certified 1.4 DP. Both experience the same issues.
    Return the Acer and get the Dell. Both me and @interconnect did that and no problem at all with the Dell. Don't  waste your time.