Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 (AN515-42-R6GV) with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Freeze and Wake issue.

Options
kronos7
kronos7 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2021 in Nitro Gaming
- Laptop randomly freezes and turning the laptop off with the power button and turning it back on is the only option then. 
- Display remains turned off on opening the lid. 
- I use a second display connected by an HDMI cable. sometimes laptop freezes as i connect the cable (sometimes it doesn't).

* Ubuntu is installed on an SSD (doesn't come with the laptop).
* BIOS is the latest version.
* I also tried Kubuntu 20.04, and the issue persists.
* Is this a gpu driver issue ? I tried installing amdgpu , amdpgu pro and issue continues.
Please Help. 

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    How about try non-Ubuntu based Linux such as Manjaro?
  • there_now
    there_now Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Created an account just to respond to this.  I am running an acer machine with similar hardware and a i was using ubuntu dealt with this softlock freezing issue for months.  No luck, switched over to linux mint, fixed the wakelock issue but softlock freeze issue is still present, I've searched for hours, tried zenstates py script tried every grub param suggested, no luck.  Really curious what the issue is.  Please let me know if you find anything and i will do the same.  It is very frustrating
  • there_now
    there_now Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Also when i emailed ryzen about the issue all they said was "aRe YoU sUrE yOu InStAlLeD tHe RiGhT dRiVeRs".  There is something we are missing.  I also installed it onto an M.2. that did not come with my machine.  Our situations are pretty similar so we probably share a solution as well, like i said every once in a while i get frustrated and take a stab at it.  I will keep you posted.
  • kronos7
    Options
    there_now said:
    Also when i emailed ryzen about the issue all they said was "aRe YoU sUrE yOu InStAlLeD tHe RiGhT dRiVeRs".  There is something we are missing.  I also installed it onto an M.2. that did not come with my machine.  Our situations are pretty similar so we probably share a solution as well, like i said every once in a while i get frustrated and take a stab at it.  I will keep you posted.
    Do you think this has something to do with the M.2 we are using? I never tried to install ubuntu on my HDD. I am using a WD Green M.2. I will try to install it on my HDD and report back. Thanks for the reply. The issue is so annoying and i couldn't get my works done. I had to switch back to windows (which runs on the same SSD).  No issues on Windows. Please let me know if you find a solution.
  • kronos7
    edited September 2020
    Options
    ttttt said:
    How about try non-Ubuntu based Linux such as Manjaro?
    I will try that and report back. But i really wish i could run Ubuntu without any issues, because of some work which is ubuntu specific. I will try Manjaro anyways. It might give some insights right? Thanks for the reply. I also have to try installing Ubuntu on my HDD.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @kronos7

I was able to install RoboLinux ( a Ubuntu based Linux) and LinuxMint to M.2 SSDs to my desktop PC. So, I do not think it is M.2 SSD problem.
  • FoldedMonkey
    FoldedMonkey Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    @kronos7 @ttttt did anyone find a solution.. I have the same problem, same machine :(.. incredibly frustrating..
  • ttttt
    Options
    @FolderMonkey,

How about start your own thread and tell us what and how you did to install Ubuntu? What kind of error messages that you get? Through these months I had acquired an A515-46-R14K and was able to install the latest Manjaro to the 2.5" SATA3 SSD that I added to the laptop.

Also, tell us your BIOS settings, secure boot enabled or not?
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    What about full dmesg?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158