SIr Good day! Is there possible i can upgrade my loptop through eGPU Aspire 5 A515-51G-854Z

Options
Sniz3r07
Sniz3r07 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 16 in 2020 Archives
Here is the Specs
CPU i7-8550U 1.8GHz with turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
NVDIA@ GeForce MX150 with 2GB VRAM
8GB DDR4 Memory 
1TB SSD

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited August 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Sniz3r07 said:
    Here is the Specs
    8GB DDR4 Memory 
    1TB SSD

Yes you can, if you know what you are doing? And you have the appropriate components. I’ve done a basic eGPU with an Aspire V3-571G and it worked perfectly, as I had a power supply and a GPU and an adaptor like a V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock Mini PCIe, you can also doit through a Thunderbolt 3 etc. There are many guide(s) on eGPU’s so look them up, this is just a basic guide that indicates what eGPU is and what you need to set it up, see here: https://www.howtogeek.com/232144/what-is-an-egpu-and-why-should-i-want-one/ good luck.

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited August 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Sniz3r07 said:
    Here is the Specs
    8GB DDR4 Memory 
    1TB SSD

Yes you can, if you know what you are doing? And you have the appropriate components. I’ve done a basic eGPU with an Aspire V3-571G and it worked perfectly, as I had a power supply and a GPU and an adaptor like a V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock Mini PCIe, you can also doit through a Thunderbolt 3 etc. There are many guide(s) on eGPU’s so look them up, this is just a basic guide that indicates what eGPU is and what you need to set it up, see here: https://www.howtogeek.com/232144/what-is-an-egpu-and-why-should-i-want-one/ good luck.

• Sniz3r07
    Options
    @StevenGen
    Just found out that i don't have thunderbolt but i was already going to do it using a PCI EXPRESS, BUT I've just discovered that I have a M2 port in my Notebook usually used for SSD. What if I use that port instead? Would that reduce the performance of the GPU? Is it more worth it to install a SDD on the M2 and use the wifi port for the PCI EXPRESS or it's jsut not worth the price?
  • StevenGen
    Options
    Sniz3r07 said:
    @StevenGen
    Just found out that i don't have thunderbolt but i was already going to do it using a PCI EXPRESS, BUT I've just discovered that I have a M2 port in my Notebook usually used for SSD. What if I use that port instead? Would that reduce the performance of the GPU? Is it more worth it to install a SDD on the M2 and use the wifi port for the PCI EXPRESS or it's jsut not worth the price?

The M.2 to eGPU is probably the fastest and the latest. I can only speak of the Mini PCIe/WiFi card which is the most commonly used (when I did it) and is the cheapest, Thunderbolt is another way that eGPU is done and the M.2 I don’t know anything about. I can only speak about the Mini PCIe/WiFi adaptor which worked for me perfectly but, I used an old Radeon HD 6750 that I had left over and a 700W PS with the Mini PCIe/WiFi adaptor and an old Acer 20 inch monitor and it worked perfectly.

• Sniz3r07
    Options
    @StevenGen is there compatible 1366 x 768 eGPU without external monitor?
  • StevenGen
    Options
    Sniz3r07 said:
    @StevenGen is there compatible 1366 x 768 eGPU without external monitor?

All eGPU setups are compatible/adaptable to 1366 x 768 resolution and higher, as monitor setting(s) is done internally and inside your display part of the operating system. Your GPU should easily accommodate the 1366 x 768 resolution as it will accommodate higher resolutions also. Resolutions has nothing to do with any eGPU setups. The purpose of setting up an eGPU is to improve on your existing and internal laptop GPU and resolutions and to upgrade your laptops GPU, as GPU upgrading on a laptop is impossible hence and that is why eGPU is used!