The Capability To Boot With AHCI Mode Missing After Restoring TC-885

ttttt
ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
Originally I was able to boot WIN 10 with both RST Optane and AHCI modes in BIOS setting. Couldn't tell any difference between the two modes.
The SSD that came with my TC-885-UA91 is a WD SN520 M.2 NVMe PCIE 3 x2 SSD. Though it is already a couple times faster than 2.5" SATA3 SSD, the performance can still be increased within the capability of the PC by replacing it with a x4 SSD.

Before doing it, I installed a Linuxmint 20 "Cinnamon" to the x4 SSD, but Linuxmint 20 had to run in the AHCI mode. Well! no problem, just changed the BIOS to AHCI. I was able to select to boot from Windows or Linuxmint at the BootMenu while booting up, that lasted several days.

Later on I replaced the old x2  SSD with the new x4 SSD by restoring an image file stored before the migration. First boot up wasn't straight forward, as the PC tried to  boot to the Linuxmint ( that I physically removed and currently with the new Windows 10 residing on it) content of the UEFI. After removing the retained content of the Linuxmint in the UEFI directory I ought to be back in business. However, first boot with AHCI mode failed. Changed back to RST Optane mode and now everything is normal. 

My question is why my original x2 SSD allowed dual mode RST and AHCI booting but now with the new x4 SSD the capability for AHCI boot is missing? Anyone has an idea why?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Hey folks,

Last August I posted this topic about  the capability to boot from AHCI mode after restoring from image file was basically gone because whatever I entered for the Hello Password was bad. 

Several months past and I tried to boot from AHCI again with that same M.2 NVMe SSD from restored image file. This time the problem is gone and the Hello password I use everyday can be used.

I haven't done anything special to address the issue. The problem was probably resolved by Windows updates ( maybe the 20H2) or the Intel updates in the past few months

Answers

• I don't think ssd X4 is unable to boot when changing sata mode to ahci. I suggest that you perform this procedure:
    a) access windows and then press windows + r. Then type msconfig and go to system startup. Activate safe boot and restart windows. Windows will boot from safeboot;
    b) then, restart windows again and change sata mode to ahci no bios.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    Dear egydiocoelho,

I have tried the method you pointed out. Activated "Safe Boot" under msconfig, rebooted, change to AHCI from RST in BIOS, it was able to boot to the login photo, BUT..............
    Something is wrong! Whatever I entered for the Hello Password was incorrect (Gee! I do it everyday), putting full password will not work too. 

I am glad that  I did a full image 
    backup right before getting to the msconfig. Finally restore the whole system back, and the original "Hello Password" can be used again. 

Spent more than one hour and back to the origin. 

I'll just let the PC loss the capability for WIN 10 to boot from ACHI mode rather than risking not able to login.

Thanks for your time.

• You are welcome. 
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Hey folks,

Last August I posted this topic about  the capability to boot from AHCI mode after restoring from image file was basically gone because whatever I entered for the Hello Password was bad. 

Several months past and I tried to boot from AHCI again with that same M.2 NVMe SSD from restored image file. This time the problem is gone and the Hello password I use everyday can be used.

I haven't done anything special to address the issue. The problem was probably resolved by Windows updates ( maybe the 20H2) or the Intel updates in the past few months