Chromebook Spin 713 CP713-2W it won't charge if plugged into the type C port on the right side

Options
rivera618
rivera618 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Chromebooks
Just recently got the Chromebook Spin 713 and noticed it won't charge if plugged into the type C port on the right side. If plugged to the type C port on the left side, it charges just fine. Acer support claims this is how it is, only one port is for charging. I suspect I have a defective device. Could other with this chromebook check if their device charges while plugged into the type C port on the right side, the one adjacent to the power button? 
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    That model is new enough that I don't have detailed specs for it yet. What makes you think there should be charging on both ports? I'd be a little surprised if they added the cost of two charging USB-C circuits as part of the design. They put one in because they are finding they need that function in their blurb in order to sell better. On older models they either didn't put charging in or made it minimal (15W), due to the cost.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rivera618

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, at first I had read it on the article on Ars Technica by Ron Amadeo and he mentions it specifically. 
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06/acers-chromebook-spin-713-is-a-premium-aluminum-chromebook-for-630/
    What's more, each type C port has the same symbol next to it. It's a vertical line with three dots next to it. Isn't that the universal symbol for DC-in?
  • rivera618

Tinkerer

Options
    Just saw this article:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/acer-chromebook-spin-713
    The author states: "On the right side, there’s an HDMI port and second USB-C connection (you can charge the device from either side, which is neat."
    So I'm clear now I have a defective device and will need to RMA.
  • billsey
    Options
    It looks like the power symbol is associated with the Type A port on that side, indicating it provides power for charging devices even when the notebook is turned off. The symbol next to the USB-C port is just the normal "has video output" USB symbol.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rivera618

Tinkerer

Options
    According to the image below, the functionality you are describing would use the fourth symbol from the top. The solid line with the three dots is listed as DC-in.

• patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have an Acer Spin 713. I just tried and both USB-C ports charge on my Spin 713.
  • billsey
    Options
    Which Spin 713 model do you have?
  • patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    billsey said:
    Which Spin 713 model do you have?
    If you're asking me I had a Spin 13 that I recently gave a nephew when I got my Spin 713. I normally charge from the left but I checked the right side on both and they charged. On the Spin 13 I only tried once and that was a year ago.
  • rivera618

Tinkerer

Options
    I found the product manual for the Spin 713 on the Acer site and it identifies both USB C ports as supporting DC in. You should be able to charge the device with either of those ports.
  • CherylW
    CherylW Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I've had mine since Mother's Day.  Used to charge fine.  Battery now consistently says 11% - Calculating...  Have tried charging with adapter that came with Chromebook, both USB C ports, in different locations around the house.  Light comes on like it's charging but battery status is always the same.  Should I contact Best Buy where I purchased it, or Acer?
  • WorriedNoodle
    WorriedNoodle Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Just adding a me too about CherlW's comment: I've had a 2020 Spin 713 for about a year. A few weeks ago my battery started reporting "x% - Calculating", It won't charge with either USB C port.  The orange light comes on, but I can never power it on. I wrote Acer support, but haven't heard anything back.
  • V22Pilot
    V22Pilot Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    It's my left USB C port that will not charge.  It doesn't recognize ANY USB C peripherals.
  • billsey
    Options
    @V22Pilot you need to start your own thread (use Ask a Question button) and give your actual model number. You have responded to a couple of old threads here, for different models, so we don't know what you have. Give the full model number (such as CP713-2W-xxxx) in the message and title, what you are seeing and what you have tried so far.
  • Quequa
    Quequa Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

I used the one on the left side first it worked then it stopped working then I went to using the right side. You can use either or I did it up until my kids was using it I think they messed up my port.

• billsey
    Options

@Quequa there have been several different models referenced in this thread. Different models tend to have different features. Some of the 713 Chromebooks do support charging with any of the USB-C ports, some do not.

• dan1012
    dan1012 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have A SPIN 713 3W and charging on the rear port stopped working. I did a firmware refresh (refresh button and power button) and it restarted to work again.